- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
This title in other editions
Other titles in the Dover Books on History, Political and Social Science series:
Making Ads Pay: Timeless Tips for Successful Copywriting (Dover Books on History, Political and Social Science)by John Caples
Synopses & Reviews
Why does one ad succeed, while another fails? This classic by a veteran copywriter analyzes hundreds of profitable ads, offering many side-by-side comparisons between similar but not equally effective ads. These analyses yield principles, procedures, tips, and practical suggestions — each tested with decades of experience — that can be immediately applied to every medium and style of advertising.
During his six-decade career at the top advertising firm of BBDO (Batten, Barton, Durstine & Osborn), author John Caples pioneered the techniques of effective copy-testing. All copywriters, from cub to chief, can benefit from his helpful suggestions. "This is a valuable textbook for every student of advertising and every writer of ads," declared the Christian Science Monitor, and Booklist pronounced it "of interest to anyone interested in what makes our business economy work."
A veteran copywriter offers advice on how to spark ideas and capture them in print, write headlines, hold readers' attention, and more. Discover principles, procedures, and practical suggestions for every form of advertising.
A veteran copywriter offers advice on how to spark ideas and then capture them in copy, how to write headlines that attract attention, how to make ads believable and motivate readers to act, and how to learn from failure as well as success. Readers will discover principles, procedures, and practical suggestions for every medium and style of advertising.
Table of Contents
1. Seven Steps to Successful Advertising
2. How I Wrote My First Advertisement
3. How to Write Story Copy
4. They Laughed When I Sat Down at the Piano
5. They Grinned When the Waiter Spoke to Me in French
6. Some Principles Learned in Mail Order Advertising
7. An Ad That Failed--and One That Didn't
8. Which Appeals Succeed? . . . Which Fail?
9. How to Think Up Ideas
10. How to Write Headlines
11. Ten Ways to Write the First Paragraph
12. How to Write Advertising Copy
13. Ten Ways to Make Ads Believable
14. Six Ways to Prove It's a Bargain
15. Nine Ways to Make It Easy to Buy
16. Six Ways to Make People Buy Now
17. A Check List for Making Ads Pay
What Our Readers Are Saying