- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
More copies of this ISBN
This title in other editions
Other titles in the Vintage Crime/Black Lizard series:
Adam and Eve and Pinch Me (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)by Ruth Rendell
Reading Group Guide
1. Adam and Eve and Pinch Me could be described as a classic whodunnit or a psychological thriller, whilst also having supernatural elements. How well do you think Rendell combines these different strands?
2. None of the characters in the book are very likeable, do you think this is a deliberate device to make the reader more sympathetic towards Minty, despite her being the murderer?
3. Rendell uses the Paddington train crash in an extremely interesting way in the novel. How effective is it to introduce real life events into works of fiction?
4. Ruth Rendell has been referred to as the queen of crime and her books are extremely popular. What do you think lies beneath the enduring appeal of the crime novel?
5. Jerry/Jock is a lying, amoral sponger who manages to keep conning women into falling for him. Why are the female characters such willing victims? Is Jerry irresistible or are the women incredibly gullible?
6. Various characters in the book have deep psychological problems — Minty is an obsessive compulsive and Michelle and Matthew have severe eating disorders. Are damaged people more interesting to read about or is Rendell perhaps suggesting these kinds of problems are more prevalent than we like to admit?
From the Paperback edition.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like