- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
A history of Asia
Synopses & Reviews
Written by a leading scholar, A History of Asia is the only text to cover the area known as Monsoon Asia India, China, Southeast Asia, Korea, and Japan from the earliest of times to the present. Its extensive analysis integrates the complex and diverse political, social, intellectual, and economic histories of this area with an engaging and lively style. Popular because of its scope and coverage, the fifth edition of A History of Asia contains new, boxed features that emphasize cross-cultural comparisons and expanded treatment of Southeast Asia. Additionally, a timeline and discussion questions have been added to each chapter, thereby making the book even more student friendly.
Table of Contents
List of Maps.
Author's Note to the Reader.
A Note on the Spelling of Asian Names and Words.
About the Author.
Introduction: Monsoon Asia as a Unit of Study.
1. Prehistoric Asia.
2. Asian Religions and Their Cultures.
3. The Traditional Societies of Asia.
4. The Civilization of Ancient India.
5. The Civilization of Ancient China.
6. Medieval India.
7. Early and Medieval Southeast Asia.
8. China : A Golden Age.
9. Early, Classical, and Medieval Japan and Korea.
10. Mughal India and Central Asia.
11. New Imperial Splendor in China : The Ming Dynasty.
12. The West Arrives in Asia.
13. Manchu China and Tokugawa Japan.
14. The Rise of British Power in India.
15. The Triumph of Imperialism in Asia.
16. Subjugation, Nationalism, and Revolution in China and India.
17. The Struggle for Asia , 1920-1945.
18. Revival and Revolution in Japan and China.
19. Korea and Southeast Asia in the Modern World.
20. South Asia : Independence , Political Division, and Development.
21. Asia at the Close of the Century.
What Our Readers Are Saying