- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Other titles in the Library of Contemporary Thought series:
Team Rodent: How Disney Devours the Worldby Carl Hiaasen
Reading Group Guide
1) Hiaasen says that we need sleaze in our lives — that it provides a moral compass. Disney is so savagely clean, they eliminate all hints of sleaze. Is this good or bad?
2) Hiaasen says Disney is scary because they're trying to improve upon nature. They create a fantasy and want to convince people to choose their fantasy over reality. Is this good or bad?
3) Frank Rich, in the New York Times, says that it's dangerous that Disney controls so much — they can use ABC News to cover the opening of a new theme park, further blurring the distinction between news and entertainment. What makes this so dangerous?
4) Do you know that, in Florida, Disney is above the law? They have their own government, police force, and fire department. Hiaasen feels they get away with way too much because they control Florida's economy. Do you agree? Haw can this be stopped? Should it be stopped?
5) Children love Disney characters. Do you? What message is sent by these characters? Hiaasen feels Mickey Mouse has as much influence as Jesus Christ. Agree or disagree? Good or bad?
6) What did you think of the sit-com Ellen? Was ABC (Disney) right to cancel it?
7) There is a lot of bad news about Disney's new Animal Kingdom. Have you heard any of it? Is Disney able to control the news?
8) What do you think of the religious right boycotting Disney because of their support of homosexuals?
9) Would you want Disney coming into this town to "clean it up" the way they've cleaned up Times Square?
10) Would you want to live in Disney's mostly white, very safe town called Celebration? Do you think that such towns — with very specific idealistic and governmental goals — are good for America?
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Business » Biographies
Business » Business Profiles
Business » Customer Service
Business » Ethics
Business » General
Business » History and Biographies
Business » Management
Business » Small Businesses » General
Business » Start Up Business
Business » Writing
Fiction and Poetry » Literature » A to Z