- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
More copies of this ISBN
The Perks of Being a Wallflowerby Stephen Chbosky
Reading Group Guide
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
By Stephen Chbosky
1. Why do you think Charlie wants to remain anonymous? Have there been times when you wish you could have, or did?
2. Would you be friends with Charlie? Why or why not?
3. What do we learn about Michael? Do you sympathize with Charlie's reaction?
4. What do you think about Susan's relationship with her boyfriend? When Charlie tells Bill, did you think Bill would call his parents? Do you think that was the right thing to do? What do you think of her parent's reaction?
5. Discuss Charlie's reaction to his brother and sister throwing a party. What did you think about the couple in his room? What about Charlie's response?
6. What do you think being a wallflower is? Do you agree with Bob's definition?
7. How do you feel about Patrick and Brad's relationship? Do you think Patrick is understanding of Brad's feelings? What chance at a relationship do they have? Do you think that you can have a 'true' relationship built on secrets?
8. Charlie mentions that his dad "had glory days once." What do you think Charlie's glory days will be? Do you think he is worried about not having any?
9. Discuss Charlie's family holidays. Are there elements that are universal to every family dynamic? Has anything about Charlie's family surprised you? Describe aunt Helen. What kind of person is she?
10. Talk about the mixed tapes in the story. Are you familiar with the songs and bands? Why do you think Charlie speaks about them so often?
11. Do you like that the story is told through letters? Do you feel you know the kind of person Charlie is? His friends and family?
12. Several important issues come up during the course of the book, ranging from molestation to drug use. How does Charlie deal with these? How have the issues affected his friends and family?
13. Charlie has a few breakdowns. Do you feel hopeful for him? How much of his past explains his present?
14. Charlie's friends are moving away at the end of the story. Where does this leave Charlie? Can he make new friends?
15. Bill is very supportive of Charlie. How does this affect Charlie?
What Our Readers Are Saying
Average customer rating based on 69 comments:
Other books you might like
Children's » Featured Titles
Featured Titles » Banned Books » Children's
Featured Titles » Banned Books » Literature
Featured Titles » Banned Books » Young Adult
Featured Titles » Bestsellers
Featured Titles » General
Featured Titles » Literature
Featured Titles » Science
Featured Titles » World Book Night 2014
Fiction and Poetry » Literature » A to Z
Fiction and Poetry » Literature » Coming of Age
Fiction and Poetry » Literature » Featured Titles
Fiction and Poetry » Literature » Sale Books
Fiction and Poetry » Science Fiction and Fantasy » Featured Titles
Young Adult » Featured Titles
Young Adult » Fiction » Social Issues » Death and Dying
Young Adult » Fiction » Social Issues » Homosexuality
Young Adult » General