- Orange Thunder: Even as we recover from the excitement of yesterday's Pulitzer winners, the Orange Broadband Prize shortlist is announced. Just like them Brits to try and steal all the literary thunder from us Yanks!
- Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Arlington Park by Rachel Cusk
- The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai — because, after the 2006 Man Booker Prize and the 2007 National Book Critics Circle fiction award, what this novel needs is another literary award...
- A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Xiaolu Guo
- The Observations by Jane Harris
- Digging to America by Anne Tyler
Winners to be announced on June 6th.
- Sad News: Among the 32 victims of yesterday's shooting rampage at Virginia Tech was SF writer Michael Bishop's son, Jamie Bishop.
- The Road to Hollywood: Pulitzer Prize winner Cormac McCarthy is getting a double whammy from Hollywood: first the Coen brothers are filming his No Country for Old Men, and now (no big surprise) The Road seems headed to the big screen.
Let's hope it never makes this list.
÷ ÷ ÷
Brockman is the head writer for the daily Book News posts on the Powells.com blog. In his free time he's hard at work on his fictional memoir, which changes titles daily.
The views and commentary posted by Brockman are entirely his own, and are not representative of the whole of Powell's Books, its employees, or any sane human being.
Books mentioned in this post