Synopses & Reviews
Here's the perfect cookbook for a lifetime of nutritious and delicious low-calorie meals! In 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes
, registered dietitian and cookbook author Jackie Newgent offers a huge variety of high-flavor, healthful recipes that are sure to please you and your family and friends. Covering every meal of the day and snacks, too, this unparalleled low-calorie recipe collection will provide you with the information and inspiration you need for eating balanced meals, but also for satisfying every craving without packing on the poundseven if you want pizza or a fudge brownie.
Inside, you'll find everything from fun finger foods to hearty main dishes to mouthwatering desserts so tasty and filling that you won't realize you're eating right. Every single one of them tallies fewer than 500 calories per serving. . . most are fewer than 300. These recipes are simple to make and designed to take all of the guesswork out of portion sizing and calorie counting. You'll also find complete nutrition information for every recipe and full menus that help you stick to a nutrient-rich eating plan, naturally.
1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes proves that a low-calorie diet can be tempting and energizing. No artificial ingredients or unsatisfying substitutes here! What's more, it includes plenty of your favorite comfort foodsall adjusted with smart swaps to lower the calories without sacrificing flavorso that you'll never run out of satisfying options. Plus, you'll find hundreds of creative, smart, innovative ways to make the most of every meal. Whether you're actively dieting (on any plan) or simply maintaining a healthful lifestyle, this is your go-to resource.
Here's a taste of 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes:
- BREAKFASTS AND BRUNCHES: Sweet Cherry-Almond Oatmeal, Raspberry-Laced Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes, Ham and Cheese Crepes, Scrambled Huevos Rancheros with Fresh Salsa, Fresh Herb Hash Browns
- SMALL PLATES, FINGER FOODS, AND SNACKS: Thai-Inspired Chicken Satay, Goat Cheese Medallions with Caramelized Onions, Homemade Pretzel Puffs, "Swedish" Meatballs, Grilled Fig Guacamole, Fresh SpinachTruffle Dip Canapes
- SALADS: Dijon Fingerling Potato Salad, Heirloom Tomato Salad, Beet and Fuji Apple Coleslaw, Avocado and White Bean Salad, Rotisserie Chicken Cobb Salad, Orange Basmati Salad with Almonds
- SOUPS, STEWS, AND CHILIS: Pineapple-Cucumber Chilled Soup, Cajun Veggie Gumbo, Leek and Yukon Gold Potato Chowder, Irish Beef Stew, Five-Spice Turkey Chili
- MAIN DISHES: Vegetable Souvlaki, Penne alla Vodka, Coq au Vin Cabernet, Chicken Chimichurri, Beef Brisket with Squash, Sea Salt and Pepper Scallops, Shrimp Pad Thai Noodles, Grilled Tuna with Fruit Salsa
- SANDWICHES, BURGERS, AND PIZZAS: Smoked Gouda-Artichoke Club Sandwich, Eggplant Parmesan Sliders, Philly-Inspired Cheesesteak, Grilled Veggie Burgers, Turkey Tacos Monterey, Hawaiian Luau Pizza, Barbecued Chicken Pizza
- SIDES: Baked Artichoke Gratin, "Stir-fried" Brussels Sprouts, Spicy Skinny Fries, Spanish Goat Cheese Couscous, Pomegranate and Citrus Quinoa Pilaf, Cuban Beans with Lime, Fresh Rosemary Focaccia
- DESSERTS, QUICK BREADS, AND MUFFINS: Blackberry Mousse Almond Crumb Cake, Zesty Lemon Bars, Mississippi Mud Pie Parfait, Apple Streusel Mini-Muffins, Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Plus drinks, smoothies, and calorie-friendly cocktails!
An unmatched collection of delicious low-calorie recipes from the award-winning 1,000 Recipes series
This incredible cookbook is packed with tasty, low-calorie recipes that the whole family will love. The recipes cover every meal of the day and give home cooks an unparalleled variety of meals and ideas for eating healthfully—for a lifetime. Every recipe clocks in at less than 500 calories, but most are no more than 300 calories per serving. They're easy to make and take the guesswork out of portion control and calorie counting. Recipes include complete nutrition information, and full menus help home cooks maintain a balanced eating approach—naturally.
1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes covers finger foods and snacks; salads and soups; meat, poultry, fish, and vegetarian entrees; breads and muffins; and yes, even desserts and cocktails. You'll find rustic comfort foods like Five-Spice Turkey Chili, favorites like Pizza Margherita, main courses like Tart Apple-Stuffed Pork Loin, plus innovative recipes that will intrigue and satisfy you, like Caprese Salad Lasagna, Five-Spice Yam Frites, Brooklyn Lager Baked Beans, Homemade Pretzel Puffs, Fudgy Superfood Brownies, and Chocolate Mint Almond-tini.
- Written by Jackie Newgent, a well-respected Registered Dietitian and cookbook author who writes for and is interviewed by national media, such as The Dr. Oz Show, Cooking Light, Health, and Redbook, among others
- Includes clever advice on stocking a low-calorie pantry, maintaining a healthy weight, diet-friendly cooking, nutritious ingredient substitutions, full menus, and more
- Features ingredients that are fresh and flavorful, keeping with Jackie Newgent's "real foods" philosophy: nothing is artificial
Whether you're following a particular diet or just want a single go-to guide for nutritious family meals, 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes is the ultimate resource.
1,000 low-calorie recipes
It's Like Getting 5 Cookbooks in 1
Stay trim and healthy without giving up your favorite foods. Inside you'll find:
- An amazing number of hearty and flavorful low-calorie recipes for every occasionsnacks and finger foods, party dips, breakfasts and brunches, main dishes, sides, soups, sandwiches and burgers, pizzas, desserts, and even cocktails
- Full nutrition information for every recipe, plus symbols indicating recipes that are low in sodium and/or high in fiber
- Sample menus for any time of day and every season of the year
- Simple tips for planning and preparing delicious low-calorie dishes for every meal
- Easy-to-follow guidance for giving favorite recipes a "makeover"
- Dozens of great ideas for healthy eating, weight management success, calorie-friendly cooking, stocking a low-calorie kitchen, and more!
About the Author
JACKIE NEWGENT is a registered dietitian, food and nutrition writer, and cookbook author. Her work has appeared in Cooking Light, Health, Weight Watchers, Fitness, and other health publications. She has appeared on Good Morning America, NBC's Later Today, and the Dr. Oz Show. She is a cooking instructor at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City and is the author of Big Green Cookbook and The All-Natural Diabetes Cookbook. For more information, visit her website at JackieNewgent.com or follow her on Twitter @jackienewgent.
Table of Contents
Breakfasts and Brunches 2
Small Plates, Finger Foods, and Snacks 38
Dips, Salsas, and Sauces 82
Soups, Stews, and Chilis 199
Main Dishes: Vegetarian and Flexitarian 255
Main Dishes: Poultry, Meat, and Game 304
Main Dishes: Fish and Shellfish 345
Sandwiches, Burgers, Burritos, and More 370
Pizzas and Savory Pies 409
Desserts, Muffins, and Sweet Toppings 501
Beverages, Smoothies, and Mocktails 541
Equivalence Charts 571
Recommended Safe Cooking Temperatures 572