Synopses & Reviews
People used to go window-shopping; now they go Windows shopping! Online shopping can save you time and money IF you know what you’re doing. That’s where 2005 Online Shopping Directory For Dummies
comes in. The first part of the book covers buying from online auctions and ads and “Let the buyer beware” information, reminding you to check out the product or company, check shipping and handling fees, look for secure sites, and more. Then comes the fun part—a listing more than 1,500 selected sites. Get ready to browse—literally. This is more than a directory—it’s a Cybershopper’s dream, with:
- Sites grouped into 21 categories such as apparel, computers and electronics, babies and children, home and garden, health and beauty, food, malls and mega stores, travel, and more.
- Icons that rate each site by price, selection, service, convenience, and security
- A description of each site that includes the URL, company name, types of merchandise, and a paragraph about the e-tailer
2005 Online Shopping Directory For Dummies was written by Barbara Kasser, author of several books on the Internet, and an avid online shopper, and Frank Fiore, author of six eBusiness books and the Online Shopping Guide for About.com. Together, they created a terrific reference with:
- Extensively cross-referenced indexes so you can find products by company name, product name, keywords, or URL
- Tips on everything from how to find the best prices to what to do if you have a problem
- Sites you might never find on your own, like giftsongs.com, ducttapecreations.com, revengeunlimited.com, and more
You won’t find shops like that at the mall! Whether you’re a bargain hunter, a collector of German beer steins, a radio-controlled airplane enthusiast, or just a typical shopper, with 2005 Online Shopping Directory For Dummies, you’ll find what you’re looking for plus things you didn’t know existed!
- Gives descriptions of more than 1,500 of the best online shopping sites. Sites are grouped in useful categories such as apparel, computers and consumer electronics, food, home and garden.
- Researched and written by About.com's online shopping expert, Frank Fiore.
- Extensive indexes makes it easy to find products by company name, product name, keywords, or URL.
- Icons rate each site by price, selection, service, convenience, and security.
- Includes special sidebars on specialized shopping topics such as Buying a Car Online, Planning a Wedding on the Web, and Dinner for Two Online.
- Includes a special section on purchasing services on the Web--everything from plumbing help to limousine services.
- Includes a unique "Trading With the Natives" section about online auction sites (including eBay) and classified ad sites.
The secret is out. Shopping on the Web is no longer the domain of yuppies and the upper class. The trickle of interest in online shopping that began three years ago has become a flood. Millions of consumers have discovered that shopping online is fun, easy, secure, and saves both time and money. Easy to use and read, the "Online Shopping Directory For Dummies skims the cream from what you might find using a search engine, and directs readers to the best products, sites, and services on the Web. More than 1,500 sites are grouped in useful categories such as apparel, computers and consumer electronics, food, home and garden. Extensively cross-referenced indexes make it easy to find products by company name, product name, keywords, or URL. Icons rate each site by price, selection, service, convenience, and security. Special sections cover purchasing services on the Web, and online auctions and classified ad sites. Special “ Shopping Safari” sidebars discuss specialized topics such as Buying a Car Online, Planning a Wedding on the Web, and Dinner for Two Online. "Online Shopping Directory For Dummies is researched and written by Frank Fiore, About.com’ s online shopping expert, who has more than 10 years of experience on the subject.
Special section covers auctions and classified ads!
Discover the best places to shop, where to find bargains, and how to skip scams
The World Wide Web can be one bizarre bazaar; its fun, but how do you know where to find stuff? Is it safe to shop there? After you pay shipping, do you really save money? Find out here! Get the scoop on 1,500 super sites, logically arranged by category, with tips on safety, specialty shopping, and lots more.
Discover how to:
- Shop the Web safely
- Buy everything online from crafts to cars
- Find sites that save you time and money
- Navigate auctions and classified ads
- Resolve problems with a purchase
About the Author
is a network administrator for a major specialty chemical company. In her spare time, she is the Team Leader Coordinator for the Boca Raton Community Emergency Response Team. Barbara is the author of several books, including Internet Shopping Yellow Pages
, Practical Internet
, Using the Internet, 4th Edition
and Netscape Navigator, Browsing and Beyond
. Barbara also co-authored Internet Explorer 4, One Step at a Time
Frank Fiore is an eBusiness expert and accomplished author of six eBusiness books: Successful Affiliate Marketing for Merchants, e-Marketing Strategies, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Starting an Online Business, Dr. Livingston’s Online Shopping Safari Guidebook, Tech TVs Starting an Online Business, and How to Succeed in Sales Using Today’s Technology. He is the Online Shopping Guide for About.com and a prolific writer of eBusiness features on Informit.com.
Table of Contents
Part I: Online Shopping Overview.
Chapter 1: Shopping the Global Superstore.
Chapter 2: Shopping Securely Online.
Chapter 3: Buying from Your Fellow Netizens.
Part II: Online Shopping Sites.
Chapter 4: Antiques, Art, and Collectibles: Building Your Private Collection.
Chapter 5: Apparel: Dressing for Work and Play.
Chapter 6: Auctions and Classifieds: Trading with the Natives.
Chapter 7: Babies and Children: Shopping Is Child’s Play.
Chapter 8: Computers and Electronics: Get Wired and Stay Connected.
Chapter 9: Drinks: Wetting Your Whistle.
Chapter 10: Entertainment: Keeping Yourself Amused.
Chapter 11: Flowers and Gifts: Reminders and Remembrances.
Chapter 12: Food: Dining in Cyberspace.
Chapter 13: Health and Beauty: Looking as Good as You Feel.
Chapter 14: Home and Garden: Shopping for Your Castle.
Chapter 15: International: Shopping the Global Marketplace.
Chapter 16: Malls and Mega Stores: Great Shopping Under One Virtual Roof.
Chapter 17: Office Supplies: Getting Down to Business.
Chapter 18: Outdoors: Shopping the Great Outdoors.
Chapter 19: Pets: Caring for Your Animals.
Chapter 20: Seasonal and Holidays: Party On!
Chapter 21: Sports, Hobbies, and Crafts: Spending Your Free Time.
Chapter 22: Transportation: Traveling Round and Round.
Chapter 23: Travel: Getting Away from It All.
Chapter 24: Zany Fun: A Look at the World Wide Weird.
Part III: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 25: Ten Ways to Protect You and Your Purchase When Shopping Online.
Chapter 26: Ten Places to Turn When You Have Problems with a Purchase.
Chapter 27: Ten Places for Product and Merchant Reviews.
Chapter 28: Ten Ways to Find the Best Prices.