Synopses & Reviews
Professor Neill's excellent and authoriatative survey examines centuries of missionary activity, beginning with Christ and working through the Crusades and the colonization of Asia and Africa up to the present day.
This history of the Christian missions traces the expansion of Christianity from its origins in the Middle East to Rome, the rest of Europe and the colonies, and assesses its position as a major religious force worldwide.
Table of Contents
1. A Faith for the World
2. The Conquest of the Roman World, A.D. 100-500
3. The Dark Age, 500-1000
4. Early European Expansion, 1000-1500
5. The Age of Discovery, 1500-1600
6. The Roman Catholic Missions, 1600-1787
7. New Beginnings in East and West, 1600-1800
9. New Forces in Europe and America, 1792-1858
10. The Heyday of Colonialism, 1858-1914
11. Rome, the Orthodox, and the World, 1815-1914
12. From Mission to Church
13. Yesterday and Today, 1914 and After