Synopses & Reviews
The chapters in this volume, each written by a leading scholar of the period, analyze in turn the different nationalities and kingdoms that existed in the British Isles from the end of the Roman empire to the coming of the Vikings, the process of conversion to Christianity, the development of art and of a written culture, and the interaction between this written culture and the societies of the day.
About the Author
Thomas Charles-Edwards is Jesus Professor of Celtic at the University of Oxford and a Fellow of Jesus College.
Table of Contents
Introduction, Thomas Charles-Edwards
1. Nations and Kingdoms, Thomas Charles-Edwards
2. Society, Community, and Identity, John Hines
3. Conversion to Christianity, Thomas Charles-Edwards
4. The Art of Authority, Jennifer O'Reilly
5. Latin and the Vernacular Languages: the Creation of a Bilingual Textual Culture, Andy Orchard
6. Texts and Society, Robin Chapman Stacey
Conclusion, Thomas Charles-Edwards