Synopses & Reviews
NIS+ (Network Information Service Plus
–) is a new network information service that is part of SunSoft's Open Network Computing Plus (ONC+
–) suite of products which is installed on over 3.1 million nodes worldwide. NIS+ is available on Solaris
–2.x whether Intel
–- based, and is portable to other operating systems that support ONC RPC or ONC+ transport- independent RPC (TI-RPC
–). This is THE authoritative guide to administering NIS+. Compares NIS+ to DNS and NIS; explains the structure of NIS+ what it has to offer and how it is put together; provides guidelines for making a transition from NIS to NIS+ and for setting up NIS+ from scratch; presents step-by-step instructions for setting up the components of an NIS+ namespace, from the root domain to individual clients; describes the NIS+ commands (syntax and details) in terms of administration categories; and contains Pre-Setup Worksheets, a list of NIS+ Scripts Error Messages, and a discussion of the NIS+ API. For system and network administrators, and for MIS managers (who need to determine whether NIS+ offers what they need).
NIS+ (Network Information Service Plus) is a new network information service that is part of SunSoft's Open Network Computing Plus (ONC+) suite of products. This is the authoritative guide to administering NIS+. The book explains the structure of NIS+--what it has to offer and how it is put together, and provides guidelines for setting up NIS+.
Table of Contents
PART I. UNDERSTANDING NIS+. 1. Understanding Network Information Services.
2. Understanding the NIS+ Namespace.
3. Understanding NIS+ Tables and Information.
4. Understanding NIS+ Security.
5. Understanding the Name Service Switch.
PART II. PLANNING FOR NIS+. 6. Planning and Transition Guidelines.
7. Building a Prototype NIS+ Namespace.
8. Designing the NIS+ Namespace.
9. Selecting NIS+ Security Measures.
10. Using NIS Compatibility Mode.
11. Satisfying Prerequisites to Transition.
12. Implementing the Transition.
PART III. SETTING UP THE NIS+ SERVICE. 13. Setup Guidelines.
14. Setting Up an NIS+ Namespace Using the NIS+ Scripts.
15. Setting Up the Root Domain.
16. Setting Up NIS+ Tables.
17. Setting Up an NIS+ Client.
18. Setting Up NIS+ Servers.
19. Setting Up a Non-Root Domain.
20. Setting Up the Name Service Switch.
PART IV. ADMINISTERING THE NIS+ SERVICE. 21. Administering NIS+ Groups.
22. Administering NIS+ Credentials.
23. Administering NIS+ Access Rights.
24. Administering NIS+ Directories.
25. Administering NIS+ Tables.
PART V. APPENDICES. A. Information in NIS+ Tables.
B. Pre-Setup Worksheets.
C. NIS+ Scripts Error Messages.
D. NIS+ API.