Synopses & Reviews
Do you know what the best feature is in All New Square Foot Gardening?
Sure, there are ten new features in this all-new, updated book. Sure, it's even simpler than it was before. Of course, you don't have to worry about fertilizer or poor soil ever again because you'll be growing above the ground.
But, the best feature is that anyone, anywhere can enjoy a Square Foot garden. Children, adults with limited mobility, even complete novices can achieve spectacular results.
But, let's get back to the ten improvements. You're going to love them.
- New Location Move your garden closer to your house by eliminating single-row gardening. Square Foot Garden needs just twenty percent of the space of a traditional garden.
New Direction Locate your garden on top of existing soil. Forget about pH soil tests, double-digging (who enjoys that?), or the never-ending soil improvements
- New Soil The new Mel's Mix is the perfect growing mix. Why, we even give you the recipe. Best of all, you can even buy the different types of compost needed.
- New Depth You only need to prepare a SFG box to a depth of 6 inches It's true the majority of plants develop just fine when grown at this depth.
- No Fertilizer The all new SFG does not need any fertilizer-ever If you start with the perfect soil mix, then you don't need to add fertilizer.
- New Boxes The new method uses bottomless boxes placed aboveground. We show you how to build your own (with step-by-step photos).
- New Aisles The ideal gardening aisle width is about three to four feet. That makes it even easier to kneel, work, and harvest.
- New Grids Prominent and permanent grids added to your SFG box help you visualize the planting squares and know how to space for maximum harvest.
- New Seed Saving Idea The old-fashioned way advocates planting many seeds and then thinning the extras (that means pulling them up). The new method means planting a pinch literally two or three seeds per planting hole.
- Tabletop Gardens The new boxes are so much smaller and lighter (only 6 inches of soil, remember?), you can add a plywood bottom to make them portable.
Of course, that's not all. We've also included simple, easy-to-follow instructions using lots of photos and illustrations. You're going to love it!
All New Square Foot Gardening
instructs gardeners to grow their vegetables and plants above ground in boxes filled with Mel's special soil recipe. Seeds planted in quadrants produce a bountiful harvest all year using minimum space. All New Square Foot Gardening
ushers this 25-year-old method into a new marketplace for a new generation of gardeners. The book blends the author's Square Foot method with a highly illustrated "how-to" approach that every gardener will understand.
Top Features Include:
- The Quick Start Guide
- All New Improvements
- The 10 Basic Priniciples
- Over 75 photographs, illustrations, and charts display how-to and step-by-step instructions, images of plants recommended by the author, and charts showing growth rate and proper plant choice.
- A History of Square Foot Gardening
This guide blends the author's Square Foot method of gardening with a highly illustrated "how-to" approach that every gardener will understand. Includes over 75 photographs, illustrations, instructions, and charts showing growth rate and proper plant choice.
This all-new, updated book is even simpler than before. Anyone, anywhere can enjoy a Square Foot garden. Children, adults with limited mobility, even complete novices can achieve spectacular results.
This updated and expanded edition of America’s bestselling gardening book includes new information on popular subjects like vertical gardening and pest control and rewarding tips for square foot gardening with kids.
Rapidly increasing in popularity, square foot gardening is the most practical, foolproof way to grow a home garden. That explains why author and gardening innovator Mel Bartholomew has sold more than two million books describing how to become a successful DIY square foot gardener. Now, with the publication of All New Square Foot Gardening, Second Edition, the essential guide to his unique step-by-step method has become even better. Mel developed his techniques back in the early 1980s and has been teaching them throughout the world ever since. In the process, he has made improvements and refinements and continually adapted his practices to keep pace with modern times. In this new volume, Bartholomew furthers his discussion on one of the most popular gardening trends today: vertical gardening. He also explains how you can make gardening fun for kids by teaching them the square foot method. Finally, an expanded section on pest control helps you protect your precious produce. Rich with new full-color images and updated tips for selecting materials, this beautiful new edition is perfect for brand-new gardeners as well as the millions of square foot gardeners who are already dedicated to Mel’s industry-changing insights.
The Best-Selling Vegetable Gardening Book in America
is Better Than Ever! Square Foot Gardening works; over two million gardeners will agree. That’s how many folks have put Mel Bartholomew’s innovative grid-based method to the test over the years, and always with the same result: more produce in less space with less work.
In this exciting new edition of All New Square Foot Gardening, you’ll find all of Mel’s secrets revealed and all of his techniques explained. And you’ll marvel at how simple it really is: Create perfect soil in a raised box and plant your crops carefully in square-foot grids. No additional fertilizing is needed and virtually no weeding is required. Simply water and wait and you’ll be rewarded with two to three times the bounty you’d get from traditional row gardening. In your yard, in your driveway, on a balcony, or on a rooftop, your Square Foot Garden can be created practically anywhere. This beautiful new edition also contains all-new information on popular topics like gardening with kids and controlling pests.
About the Author
Author Mel Bartholomew developed the innovative square foot approach to gardening back in the 1970s, first publishing on the subject a few years later. His follow-up title, All New Square Foot Gardening, was published in 2005 and has since made home gardening accessible for millions. His Square Foot Gardening television show ran for five seasons on PBS. Through various humanitarian organizations, including the Square Foot Gardening Foundation and the Square Meter Gardening International Training Centers, he has helped put fresh vegetables on the table in underprivileged societies all over the world. He currently resides in California, with the Square Foot Gardening Foundation located in South Carolina.
Table of Contents
ContentsIntroductionSFG, Newer and More ImprovedPlan Your GardenBuilding Boxes and StructuresMel’s Mix, Essential for Square Foot Gardening SuccessHow to Plant Your All New Square Foot GardenGrowing and HarvestingVertical GardeningExtending the SeasonsSpecial Gardens & GardenersAppendixAt A Glance VegetablesAt A Glance Herbs & FlowersBasil and BeyondPlant ProfilesPlanting ChartsIndexMeet Mel Bartholomew