Synopses & Reviews
"I do wish some one would write a book like that for girls," is the remark we have frequently heard when a new book of sports for boys has made it appearance; but is was not until the publication of the American Boys Handy Book
that it occurred to us to write a book for the American boy's neglected sisters, which should be equally original and practical.
In the American Girl's Handy Book
, which it has been our endeavor to make peculiarly American, we have sought to introduce original and novel ideas, and by their aid to open new avenues of enterprise and enjoyment.
One of our objects is to impress upon the minds of the girls the fact that they all possess talent and ability to achieve more than they suppose possible.
A reprint of a gay nineties publication for young ladies instructing them in such hobbies as fancy needlework, handmade dolls, china painting, painting in oils, heraldic painting, preservation of wild flowers, and many others.
The American Girls Handy Book
Will Show you how to:
- Make Pressed Flowers and Leaves
- Make a Lawn-Tennis Net
- Tell Fortunes
- Play Fourth of July Games
- Have a Picnic, Burgoos and a Corn Roast
- Play Quiet Games in Hot Weather
- Make a Hammock
- Make corn-Husk and Flower Dolls
- Make Many different Kinds of Fans
- Make a Telephone
- Paint in Watercolors and Oil-Colors
- Model in Clay and Wax
- Make Attractive Booths at a Fair
- Make Various Window Decorations
- Make Home-Made Candy