Synopses & Reviews
Specially designed for students in grades 6−9, The American Heritage Student Dictionary covers the words that students need to know. With more than 74,000 age-appropriate words and 32,000 example sentences showing words used in context, the dictionary brims with vocabulary reflecting recent cultural and scientific developments. Definitions are phrased in a way young people can readily understand. A full-color page design with vivid graphics provides a powerful platform for developing a more sophisticated vocabulary.
- Over 2,000 new words and senses make this the most up-to-date dictionary for todays students.
- New entries include such words as exoplanet, golden goal, nanobot, and zipline as well as new meanings such as cloud (computing) and viral (marketing).
- Stunning contemporary design showcases 2,000 full-color photographs, illustrations, and diagrams that support the definitions.
- Brand-new program of 200 quotations demonstrates how the very best young-adult authors have chosen their words for maximum effect.
- Over 400 feature notes help students develop a deeper understanding of English by explaining word usage, word history, word building, synonyms, and science terms.
Still more features include biographical and geographical entries on people and places that are important in the curriculum. A program of "soundalikes," like cache/cash and hoard/horde, alerts students to homophones that are easy to confuse and misuse. Up to date, easy to use, and fun to browse, this dictionary is a phenomenal resource for budding readers and writers.
Specially designed for students in grades 6-9, this popular dictionary has been updated to reflect the latest developments in all areas of vocabulary. It contains more than 65,000 entries and dozens of frequently occurring new words, such as couscous, hijab, Hmong, LCD, and stem cell. Definitions are enhanced by hundreds of feature notes and more than 2,000 full-color photographs, drawings, and diagrams.
Specially designed for students in grades 6-9, this popular dictionary has been updated. It contains more than 65,000 entries and dozens of frequently occurring new words. Definitions are enhanced by hundreds of feature notes and more than 2,000 full-color photographs, drawings, and diagrams.
A brand-new, fully revised edition of this outstanding resource for students in grades 6-9, with hundreds of new words, abundant example sentences, lively feature notes, and an all-new full-color art program. This book is the first in our line to use the two-column, marginal-art design of our adult American Heritage Dictionary.
About the Author
The Editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries and of other reference titles published by Houghton Mifflin Company are trained lexicographers with a varied array of interests and expertise. Most of the editors hold graduate degrees and have studied at least one foreign language. Several have degrees in linguistics or in the history of the English language. Others have degrees in science or sometimes other disciplines. All the editors familiarize themselves with the vocabulary in specific subject areas, collect materials on new developments and usage, and work in association with consultants to ensure that the content of our publications is as accurate and as up-to-date as possible.