Synopses & Reviews
Some people think that knowing about what goes on inside the human body can sap life of its mystery. Which is too bad for them, because anybody who’s ever taken a peak under the hood knows that the human body, and all its various structures and functions, is a realm of awe-inspiring complexity and countless wonders. The dizzying dance of molecule, cell, tissue, organ, muscle, sinew, and bone that we call life can be a thing of breathtaking beauty and humbling perfection. No one should be denied access to this spectacle because they don’t come from a scientific background. And now, thanks to Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies
, no one needs to be.
Whether you’re an aspiring health-care or fitness professional or just somebody who’s curious about the human body and how it works, this book offers you a fun, easy way get a handle on the basics of anatomy and physiology. In no time you’ll:
- Understand the meanings of terms in anatomy and physiology
- Get to know the body’s anatomical structures—from head to toe
- Explore the body’s systems and how they interact to keep us alive
- Gain insights into how the structures and systems function in sickness and health
- Understand the human reproductive system and how it creates new life
Written in plain English and illustrated with dozens of beautiful illustrations, Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies covers everything from atoms to cells to organs, including:
- Anatomic position and the divisions of the body
- Increasingly magnified aspects of the body, from atoms to organs to systems
- The anatomy and pathophysiology of the skeleton, muscles and skin
- The anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology of the nervous, endocrine and circulatory systems
- The anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology of the respiratory, digestive, urinary and immune systems
- The anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology of the reproductive system
- Keeping the body healthy through good nutrition
Don’t miss this opportunity to learn about your body from the inside out. Let Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies be your guide on a fantastic voyage through a world of countless wonders.
x Form & Function: Anatomy For Dummies combines anatomical terminology and well-described functions so readers not only learn names and terms, but also gain an understanding of how the human body works.
x 16 page Color Insert: Sixteen color drawings help the reader to see the big picture and put all of the information together. Throughout the book, dozens of black and white drawings illuminate anatomical features and functions.
x Extensive coverage: Readers will not only learn what a feature is and what it does, but coverage of pathophysiology will show readers what can go wrong with it.
Bone up on anatomical terms, features, and functions
Get a handle on body basics with concise explanations and plenty of illustrations
Whether you're an aspiring health-care or fitness professional or you're dealing with serious illness, having a basic knowledge of the human body is a must. Covering everything from cells and tissues to organs and the various systems, this friendly guide clearly explains what the various parts of the human body are and how they work together to keep us alive.
The Dummies Way
* Explanations in plain English
* "Get in, get out" information
* Icons and other navigational aids
* Tear-out cheat sheet
* Top ten lists
* A dash of humor and fun
Get smart! @www.dummies.com
* Find listings of all our books
* Create your own personalized book with Hungry Minds a la Carte(TM)
* Sign up for daily eTips at www.dummiesdaily.com
This title combines anatomical terminology and describes functions so readers not only learn names and terms, but also gain an understanding of how the human body works. There is a 16-page colour insert with drawings to help the reader to see the big picture and put all of the information together.
Don’ t miss this opportunity to learn about your body from the inside out. Let Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies be your guide on a fantastic voyage through a world of countless wonders.
About the Author
Donna Rae Siegfried has written about pharmaceutical and medical topics for fifteen years. Her work has appeared in Prevention and Men's Health.
Table of Contents
Part I: Positioning Yourself to Study Anatomy.
Chapter 1: Parts of the Whole.
Chapter 2: Spanning the Ages: What Your Body Does Throughout Its Life.
Chapter 3: Forming Your Foundation.
Part II: Anatomy from Head to Toe.
Chapter 4: Boning Up on the Skeletal System.
Chapter 5: Bulking You Up on Muscles.
Chapter 6: The Great Coverup: Skin.
Part III: Focusing on Physiology.
Chapter 7: Getting on Your Nerves: The Nervous System.
Chapter 8: Moaning About Hormones: The Endocrine System.
Chapter 9: Putting Your Heart in It: The Circulatory System.
Chapter 10: Breathe a Sigh of Relief: The Respiratory System.
Chapter 11: Breaking Down: The Digestive System.
Chapter 12: Cleaning Up: The Urinary System.
Chapter 13: Fighting Fairly: The Immune System.
Part IV: Creating New Bodies.
Chapter 14: What a Production! Reproduction.
Chapter 15: Here I Grow Again: Birth and Development.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 16: Ten Ways to Keep Your Body Healthy.
Chapter 17: Ten Great Anatomy & Physiology Web Sites.