Synopses & Reviews
- Set up your tablet, configure the Home screen, and get connected
- Surf the web, use e-mail, text and video chat, and keep in touch with social media
- Have fun with photos, video, games, eBooks, music, movies, and more
Learn all you need to know about your Android tablet from bestselling author Dan Gookin!
Whether you’re new to Android or tablets altogether, you’re about to experience mobile computing like never before! You’ll discover how to set up your tablet, navigate the interface, stay connected with social media, utilize the latest apps, keep on top of books and music, and much more. So what are you waiting for? It’s all inside this handy reference!
- Greetings, Android tablet — liberate your Android from its box and get familiar with its basic functions, like typing, swiping, and creating and editing text
- Touch base — set up your e-mail accounts, connect to Facebook and Twitter, and use text and video chat to stay in touch with friends
- Amazing feats — unlock more of your Android tablet’s cool capabilities, like using maps, taking and organizing photos, and listening to music
- The nuts and bolts — find out how to connect to a Wi-Fi network, swap and share files between your Android tablet and a computer, and set up security features
Open the book and find:
- Tips on how to review and understand common Android icons
- Tablet Web browsing tips and secrets
- How to stay connected with social media
- Tips for taking and editing photos
- Ways to explore useful and free apps
- How to troubleshoot your Android tablet
- Strategies to squeeze every ounce of power from the battery
This book is for people who want to get the most from their Android tablet and the new KitKat OS due to release in October, 2013. There is a compelling draw to such technology and an obvious popularity, particularly as the tablet market heats up. The Apple iPad created and defined the tablet communications category of intelligent devices. It's not a computer, and it's more than a smartphone. Tablets are surpassing the original basics of tablet computing offered-- Web, Email, eReader, Navigation, Music, Video, Camera – and now offering more advanced technology to engage in phone communications plus video chat and conferencing. That, coupled with the increasing popularity of the Android operating system and aggressive pricing, makes it a formidable contender.
This book documents the features of all Android tablets, approaching them from the point of view of a smart person who is intimidated by the technology and baffled by the scant documentation and online support. All topics will be covered. As usual, humor is generously sprinkled through the text. It provides relief, but never gets in the way of important stuff. The reader will end up keeping this book close, referring to it often as they explore the features of their Android based tablet.
Make your Android do your bidding with help from bestselling author Dan Gookin
Congratulations on your new Android tablet! Whether you're new to Android or new to tablets altogether, you're about to experience mobile computing like never before with this fun, full-color guide. Written in the trademark For Dummies style, this light-hearted reference takes a look at those features common to all Android tablets and all the amazing things your Android tablet can do for you.
Longtime For Dummies author Dan Gookin walks you through setting up your tablet, navigating the interface, browsing the web, setting up e-mail, connecting to social media, and finding plenty of apps, music, books, and movies to indulge all your interests.
- Covers all Android tablets – from popular favorites like the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Nexus to devices from other manufacturers like Asus, Coby, Motorola, and more – and explores the features native to all Android tablets, regardless of maker
- Explains how to customize your tablet, set up a Google account, connect with Wi-Fi, and choose the right apps for your personalized experience
- Shows you how to shoot and share photos, make video calls, use navigation tools, play music, enjoy movies and TV shows, maintain your schedule, and more
- Includes helpful maintenance and troubleshooting tips to keep your Android up and running
If you're eager to learn the ins and outs of your Android device, Android Tablets For Dummies, 2nd Edition is your go-to-guide to all things Android.
About the Author
Dan Gookin, who wrote the very first For Dummies book, enjoys worldwide success as the author of several bestsellers. He is the author of Samsung Galaxy Tabs For Dummies, Nexus Tablets For Dummies, Word 2013 For Dummies, and Android Phones For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: The Android Tablet Thing 7
Chapter 1: That Out-of-the-Box Experience 9
Chapter 2: Android Tablet On and Off 21
Chapter 3: How Android Tablets Work 33
Chapter 4: Creating and Editing Text 49
Part II: Stay in Touch 63
Chapter 5: All Your Friends 65
Chapter 6: You’ve Got E-Mail 79
Chapter 7: Tablet Web Browsing 93
Chapter 8: Digital Social Life 105
Chapter 9: Text Chat, Video Chat, and Phone Calls 115
Part III: Omni Tablet 127
Chapter 10: There’s a Map for That 129
Chapter 11: Everyone Say “Cheese!” 145
Chapter 12: Image Management and Madness 159
Chapter 13: Music, Music, Music 175
Chapter 14: Amazing Tablet Feats 189
Chapter 15: More Apps 203
Part IV: Nuts and Bolts 217
Chapter 16: It’s a Wireless Life 219
Chapter 17: Connect, Share, and Store 233
Chapter 18: On the Road 247
Chapter 19: Customize Your Android Tablet 253
Chapter 20: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Help 271
Part V: The Part of Tens 285
Chapter 21: Ten Tips, Tricks, and Shortcuts 287
Chapter 22: Ten Things to Remember 297
Chapter 23: Ten Great Free Apps 303