Synopses & Reviews
America's gardening authority for more than a century introduces a new series for the home gardener an invaluable reference for beginning and experienced gardeners alike Annuals Features:
- Detailed descriptions of more than 70 outstanding annuals, including recommended varieties and tips for design, color, and companion planting
- Complete cultural information, advice on soil preparation, scores of tips, and essential information on both new and old-fashioned annual favorites
- A superb "plant portrait" section every annual explained and fully illustrated with many entries showing multiple photos to distinguish confusing varieties
- Special chapters include "Designing an Annual Garden," "The Annual Planting and Growing Guide" and more
Each volume in the Burpee American Gardening Series features:
- Environmentally sound and organic gardening practices
- The authoritative review of Burpee's staff of horticulturists and plant breeders
- A full chapter devoted to questions most frequently asked of Burpee's Customer Service, with in-depth answers
- Down-to-earth, easy-to-follow advice
- Thorough cross-referencing with Latin and common names for easy use
- Fabulous color photography throughout
- The newly revised USDA Plant Hardiness Map of the United States
A Selection of the Book-of-the-Month Club
About the Author
SUZANNE FRUTIG BALES, Director of W. Atlee Burpee Company, has been an avid gardener for over 20 years. Her gardens have been showcased in House Beautiful and New York Newsday, and her garden photography in Women's Day.
Table of Contents
1. The Annual Garden Planner.
2. Designing an Annual Garden.
3. The Annual Planting and Growing Guide.
4. Plant Portraits.
5. Pests and Diseases.
6. Gardeners' Most-asked Questions.
Appendices: Annuals Characteristics Chart.
The USDA Plant Hardiness Map of the United States.