Synopses & Reviews
With Astronomy Today, Seventh Edition, trusted authors Eric Chaisson and Steve McMillan communicate their excitement about astronomy and awaken you to the universe around you. The text emphasizes critical thinking and visualization, and it focuses on the process of scientific discovery, making “how we know what we know” an integral part of the text. The revised edition has been thoroughly updated with the latest astronomical discoveries and theories, and it has been streamlined to keep you focused on the essentials and to develop an understanding of the “big picture.” Astronomy Today is available with an interactive Pearson eText and MasteringAstronomy®—the most powerful astronomy tutorial and assessment system ever built.
- Astronomy Today, Volume 1: The Solar System, Seventh Edition—Focuses primarily on planetary coverage for a 1-term course. Includes Chapters 1-16, 28.
- Astronomy Today, Volume 2: Stars and Galaxies, Seventh Edition—Focuses primarily on stars and stellar evolution for a 1-term course. Includes Chapters 1-5 and 16-28.
- MasteringAstronomy with Pearson eText Student Access Code Card
- Astronomy Today Volume 1: The Solar System, Seventh Edition
0321765494 / 9780321765499 Astronomy Today Volume 1: The Solar System with MasteringAstronomy® with Edmund Scientific Star and Planet Locator and Starry Night
Package consists of:
0131402358 / 9780131402355 Edmund Scientific Star and Planet Locator
0321712951 / 9780321712950 Starry Night College Student Access Code Card
032171864X / 9780321718648 Astronomy Today Volume 1: The Solar System with MasteringAstronomy®
About the Author
Eric Chaisson received his Ph.D. from and taught at Harvard for a number of years in Astrophysics. He is now associated with Tufts and Harvard. Eric has written nine books and received a number of literary awards along the way. Steve McMillan, a former Ph.D. candidate of Eric Chaisson’s, is a professor of Physics at Drexel University.
Table of Contents
1. Charting the Heavens: The Foundations of Astronomy
2. The Copernican Revolution: The Birth of Modern Science
3. Radiation: Information from the Cosmos
4. Spectroscopy: The Inner Workings of Atoms
5. Telescopes: The Tools of Astronomy
6. The Solar System: An Introduction to Comparative Planetology
7. Earth: Our Home in Space
8. The Moon and Mercury: Scorched and Battered Worlds
9. Venus: Earth’s Sister Planet
10. Mars: A Near Miss for Life?
11. Jupiter: Giant of the Solar System
12. Saturn: Spectacular Rings and Mysterious Moons
13. Uranus and Neptune: The Outer Worlds of the Solar System
14. Solar System Debris: Keys to Our Origin
15. The Formation of Planetary Systems: The Solar System and Beyond
16. The Sun: Our Parent Star
28. Life in the Universe: Are We Alone?