Synopses & Reviews
AutoCAD Workbook For Dummies, like other books in the Workbook For Dummies series, provides “ problems” for the reader to solve in the first part and “ solutions” to those problems in the second part. For AutoCAD Workbook For Dummies, the problems are design models for the reader to create in AutoCAD 2007. The problems start at the beginning, and become increasingly advanced:
• 2-D Geometric construction – Basic 2-D modeling for 3-D; complex 2-D modeling for 3-D, constructing splines
• 3-D solid modeling – solid modeling workflow; using primitives; using extrusions and sweeps; complex solid models
• 3-D surface modeling – surface modeling workflow; basic surface modeling, complex surface modeling
• Rendering and imaging – rendering and imaging workflow; basic rendering techniques, complex rendering techniques
• Dimensioning and drafting – creating drawings from models; extracting drawings from models; dimensioning techniques; creating section and auxiliary views; geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
• Model interchange – importing and exporting 3-D CAD data; exporting rendering and presentation data; creating electronic documentation from CAD data; backup and recovery.
- AutoCAD 2007 features a new 3D rendering engine that greatly enhances the program's 3D functionality-and makes this industry-standard drafting program even more difficult to master, even for veteran users
- This focused For Dummies workbook gives people the practice they need to get up to speed on the new 3D features, with dozens of problems and step-by-step solutions for modeling, shadowing, and lighting
- Topics covered by the problems include 2D geometric construction, 3D solid modeling, 3D surface modeling, rendering and imaging, dimensioning and drafting, and model interchange
- Used by architects, engineers, and draftspeople, AutoCAD is the #1 computer-aided design (CAD) software in the world, with an installed base of 6.7 million users
- The accompanying DVD provides videos that illustrate select problems and solutions presented in the workbook
* The accompanying DVD provides videos that illustrate select problems and solutions presented in the workbook
Conquer the complexities of AutoCAD 3D modeling
Mastering AutoCAD is no picnic, and using it for 3D modeling is among the toughest challenges. This unique workbook offers over one hundred exercises that lead you skill by skill toward AutoCAD 3D success. You get the hands-on practice you need to tackle everything from solid and surface modeling to rendering and plotting—all reinforced with video walkthroughs on the companion DVD.
See How To
- Transition from 2D to 3D
Model solids using primitives, extrusions, and sweeps
Tackle complex surface modeling
Visualize and render designs
Plot, import, or export 3D designs
All this on the bonus DVD
- Video walkthroughs demonstrate more than 60 AutoCAD 3D modeling techniques
140 demonstration files to accompany the book's exercises
Trial version of AutoCAD 2008
System requirements: Please see the DVD appendix for details and complete system requirements.
About the Author
is a former resident of a cubicle community, which he resided in for about 8 years until deciding to go into business for himself. In 2005, Lee decided to venture off into the CAD industry as an independent consultant for HyperPics, LLC in De Pere, Wisconsin, and on the Web at www.hyperpics.com. He has been using AutoCAD since 1994 when he was first exposed to Release 12 for DOS, and has been customizing and programming AutoCAD since 1996. Lee has been an AutoCAD consultant and trainer for over a decade, and is both an Autodesk Authorized Author and an Autodesk Authorized Developer.
Over the last decade, Lee has authored a variety of works that include articles for CAD magazines, white papers for Autodesk, and has been a contributing author on a few occasions for AutoCAD books. Lee is a co-author of AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies. He has done technical editing for the three most recent editions of AutoCAD For Dummies, and the four most recent editions of AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT Bible. AutoCAD 2008 3D Modeling Workbook For Dummies is his first solo venture as a book author.
Table of Contents
Part I: Introducing AutoCAD.
Chapter 1: AutoCAD and the User Interface.
Chapter 2: Working with Drawing Files.
Chapter 3: Customizing Your Work Environment.
Part II: Going from 2D to 3D.
Chapter 4: Transitioning from 2D to 3D.
Chapter 5: Viewing a 3D Model.
Chapter 6: Taking the Plunge into 3D.
Chapter 7: Additional Exercises: Making the Transition.
Part III: 3D Modeling — Solid Modeling.
Chapter 8: Modeling with Solid.
Chapter 9: Modifying and Analyzing Solids.
Chapter 10: Creating Section and Auxiliary Views from Models.
Chapter 11: Additional Exercises: Modeling with Solids.
Part IV: 3D Modeling — Surfaces.
Chapter 12: Modeling with Surfaces.
Chapter 13: Complex Surface Modeling.
Chapter 14: Modifying Surfaces.
Chapter 15: Additional Exercises: Modeling with Surfaces.
Part V: Visualizing the Design.
Chapter 16: Lighting.
Chapter 17: Materials.
Chapter 18: Rendering and Animating.
Chapter 19: Additional Exercises: Visualizing the Design.
Part VI: Model Interchange.
Chapter 20: Plotting to a Hardcopy or an Electronic File.
Chapter 21: Importing and Exporting 3D Models.
Part VII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 22: More than Ten New Features in AutoCAD 2008.
Chapter 23: More than Ten Software and Professional Design Resources.
Appendix A: Glossary.
Appendix B: About the DVD.