Synopses & Reviews
- Rebalance your mind, body and spirit using Ayurveda
- Develop a balanced diet based on your body type, or dosha
- Optimise your health by exercising to suit your body type
- Stretch your body with yoga
Bring your mind, body and spirit into perfect harmony the natural way!
Bequeathed to us by the Rishi holy men who lived in the Indus Valley more than five thousand years ago, Ayurveda is a holistic approach to disease prevention and treatment. Recognising that each of us is unique, it aims to achieve and maintain optimal health and vitality through finding the right combination of diet, exercise, massage, yoga and herbal remedies for each body type. Written by a registered Ayurvedic practitioner, this is a thoroughly modern introduction to maintaining a happy, healthy and long life the Ayurvedic way.
- Discover your body type use questionnaires, checklists and other tools to identify your body type and general state of health
- Optimise your systems get your respiratory, digestive, cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems working at peak performance and get great skin and hair
- Beat illness treat common ailments, as well as major diseases, including everything from congestion and IBS to arthritis and diabetes
- Eat for balance develop a system-balancing diet tailored to your body type and general state of health
- Just do it! optimise your health with various exercise routines adjusted to your unique body type, age and ability
- Live in harmony relieve stress, beat depression and find inner peace using yoga, meditation, breathing exercises and more
Open the book and find:
- The fascinating 5,000-year story of Ayurveda
- How to identify your body type
- The causes of illnesses and how to detect them
- Easy exercises for achieving mind/body balance
- The right diet for every body type and every season
- How to manage illnesses with diet, lifestyle changes and herbs
- Techniques for reducing stress and finding inner peace
Rebalance your mind, body and spirit—the natural way!
Ayurveda is an ancient system of prevention and treatment of illness by maintaining balance in the body, mind, and spirit according to your individual body type.
Ayurveda For Dummies provides you with a comprehensive introduction to this area of complementary medicine, considering the origins and history of Ayurveda as well as practical guidance on utilizing the correct balance of nutrition and exercise, herbal remedies, yoga, and Ayurvedic massage to treat ailments and maintain a healthy, happy lifestyle.
- Helps you develop a diet based on your body type
- Advises you on ways to optimize your health by exercising to suit your body type
- Gives you trusted info on stretching your body with Yoga
This hands-on, friendly guide helps you understand your body type and restore balance to your life using the principles of Ayurveda.
About the Author
Angela Hope-Murray, MSc (Ayur) MA, BSc (Ost), has been a practitioner of complementary medicine for over 30 years. She trained extensively in Ayurvedic Medicine in Britain, the US, Germany and India, becoming a registered Ayurvedic Practitioner in 2001. Angela is a member of the Health Professions Council, and is currently based at The Hale Clinic in London.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting Started with Ayurveda 7
Chapter 1: Introducing Ayurveda: The Science of Life 9
Chapter 2: Focusing on the Fundamental Principles 15
Chapter 3: Uncovering the Subtle Energy Systems 27
Chapter 4: Determining Your Constitution 39
Part II: Living in Harmony with Ayurveda: Promoting Good Health 47
Chapter 5: Ease and Disease: Health According to Ayurveda 49
Chapter 6: The Rules of the Day: Dinacharya and Staying in Balance 65
Chapter 7: Seeking Union with Yoga 83
Chapter 8: Night-time Rituals for Sound Sleep and Fertility 107
Chapter 9: Changing Your Diet with the Seasons 119
Part III: Appetising Approaches to a Healthy Diet 131
Chapter 10: Stimulating the Palate: A Taste of Things to Come 133
Chapter 11: Selecting the Right Diet for Your Type 147
Chapter 12: Optimising Your Diet: A Recipe For Success 159
Part IV: Fitting Ways to Enhance Healing 175
Chapter 13: Stoking the Fire: Caring For Your Digestive System 177
Chapter 14: The Respiratory System: Breathing Life into Your Body 189
Chapter 15: Flexible Approaches for Your Musculoskeletal System 199
Chapter 16: The Secrets of Healthy Skin and Hair 209
Part V: The Part of Tens 221
Chapter 17: Ten Herbs For Maintaining Health 223
Chapter 18: Ten Super Spices for Your Kitchen 233
Part VI: Appendices 239
Appendix A: Sanskrit Glossary 241
Appendix B: Botanical Index 245
Appendix C: Suppliers 247