Synopses & Reviews
Back pain is such a common condition that many doctors and researchers consider the complaint a normal part of life, similar to having an occasional cold or flu. If you are a back pain sufferer, you are not alone:
- Back pain affects more than 80 percent of the population at some time during their lifetime.
- Back pain is second only to the common cold as a reason for visits to the doctor and it is second only to childbirth as a reason for hospitalization.
- Approximately 50 percent of the working population reports back problems every year.
- The total medical cost of back pain exceeds 20 billion dollars a year in the United States.
Back Pain Remedies For Dummies takes a holistic approach to back pain prevention and treatment. Exploring the therapeutic options – from conventional medicine to popular alternative treatments – this patient-friendly guide gives you a heads-up on how to relieve pain now and avoid future injuries, plus
- Boning up on your spinal column's pieces and parts
- Uncovering some conditions that cause back pain
- Examining the lineup of doctors who treat what ails your back
- Taking your pain lying down – or not
- Giving weight to alternative therapies, including yoga, acupuncture, and imagery exercises
- Promoting the importance of good posture
- Returning to work and play with a healthy outlook
- Saying yes to sex after a back injury
As you try to manage your back pain problem and investigate various treatment approaches, you can help yourself by being assured and hopeful that you can remedy your problem. This reliable reference gives you plenty to reason to believe that back pain does get better, and successful treatment is possible. You can expect to find the best treatment for your back problem when you have some understanding of who treats back pain, how he or she treats it, and why using a multidisciplinary approach is important – all of that awaits in Back Pain Remedies For Dummies.
A guide to achieving a healthy back with advice on treatment options, from conventional practices to more alternative therapies. These include acupuncture, massage, yoga and Chinese medicine. It features contributions from experts in each area of back pain including chiropractic and surgery.
Praise for Back Pain Remedies For Dummies
"In a clear and concise manner, this book distills the essential information needed to understand back pain basics and treatment alternatives."
– John L. Reeves II, PhD, past president of The American Pain Society
"The simplest, most easy-to-understand back pain book on the market today, bar none."
– Allan F. Chino, PhD, ABPP, and Corinne D. Davis, MD
"This book may be more helpful than a dozen ‘back specialists’ – and it won’t keep you waiting!"
— Theodore Goldstein, MD, Fellow, American College of Surgeons
Get your back on track with 17 healthy exercises
Get your options, get a treatment plan, and get the pain under control
If you suffer from back pain, this friendly guide is for you. It explains the causes of back pain in plain English and then walks you through today’s treatment options – from pain medications and surgery to alternative remedies such as acupuncture and chiropractic. It’s just what you need to get started on the road to recovery.
Discover how to:
- Understand what causes back pain
- Evaluate the pros and cons of surgery
- Find relief with alternative therapies
- Prevent reinjury
- Get back to work, play, and sex
About the Author
Michael S. Sinel, MD, and William W. Deardorff, PhD, a clinical health psychologist, are renowned back specialists who teach at UCLA School of Medicine and practice at California Orthopedic and Rehabilitation.
Table of Contents
PART I: Getting Back to Back Basics.
Chapter 1: Ouch! The Problem of Back Pain.
Chapter 2: Introducing the Parts of Your Spine.
Chapter 3: The Root of All Back Pain.
Chapter 4: Out of Your Hands: When to Seek Help and from Whom.
PART II: Conventional Treatment Options.
Chapter 5: Home Remedies: First Aid for Your Back Attack.
Chapter 6: Back Pain under the Microscope: Common Medical Tests.
Chapter 7: Going the Conservative Treatment Route.
Chapter 8: Choosing to Have Back Surgery.
PART III: Complementary Approaches: Are They for you?
Chapter 9: Ancient Eastern Wisdom and Contemporary Ideas.
Chapter 10: A Chiropractic Solution to Back Pain.
Chapter 11: All in Knots: Yoga for Your Back Problem.
Chapter 12: Using the Power of the Mind-Body Connection.
PART IV: Rehabilitation.
Chapter 13: The Importance of Posture.
Chapter 14: Exercising Your Way to a Healthy Back.
Chapter 15: Products for Better Back Health.
PART V: Resuming Normal Activity and Preventing Future Injury: Work, Play, and Sex.
Chapter 16: Getting Back to Work.
Chapter 17: Safely Returning to Your Favorite Sports: The Weekend Warrior.
Chapter 18: Sex and Back Pain: Getting "Back" in the Saddle.
PART VI: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 19: Ten Most Common Questions about Back Pain.
Chapter 20: Ten Steps to a Healthy Back.
Chapter 21: Ten Reasons to See a Doctor for Back Pain.
Chapter 22: Ten Tips for Working Successfully with Your Doctor.
Chapter 23: Ten Hot Topics in Back Pain.
Book Registration Information.