Synopses & Reviews
Before Your Pregnancy
is a breakthrough book for prospective parents—a completely detailed resource that prepares mothers and fathers-to-be to conceive the healthiest baby possible, to make pregnancy and delivery easier, and to foster the mental and physical well-being of their infant child. Created by two experienced health-care professionals, this unique handbook not only discusses virtually every aspect of preconception that affects a healthy baby, it tells you how to handle each one. The authors spell out what each parent needs to do, starting at least ninety days before conception (the minimum time needed for sperm to mature). The hundreds of topics covered—many for the first time in any book—include
• Mens Health: Building healthy sperm before conception (nutrition, fitness, and medical influences)
• Womens Health: Gynecologic well-being, preexisting medical conditions, genetic legacy, boosting fertility, becoming a mother at an older age
• Becoming an Informed Patient: Choosing a doctor, what a complete preconception exam includes, important questions and how to ask them, insurance coverage
• Nutrition: Improving the health of future generations, preconception meal makeovers, ethnic Food Guide Pyramids, avoiding food-borne illnesses, vitamin and mineral facts, pre-pregnancy body weight
• Fitness: Preconception fitness evaluation and exercise prescription, safety tips and motivational anecdotes, preconception strength and flexibility workout
• Medications/Herbs: Baby-friendly ones and ones to avoid
• Personal Readiness: Emotional, financial, and environmental issues
• Romancing the Egg: Tips for success when ready to “start trying”
Plus: Separate questionnaires for the prospective parents to fill out in preparation for their preconception medical visit.
This warm, intelligent, and completely informed reference gives aspiring parents exactly the knowledge and support they need to insure the best of everything for their child-to-be.
About the Author
Amy Ogle, M.S., R.D.
, is a registered dietitian, exercise physiologist, and ACE-certified personal trainer who gives preconception workshops. She has produced a popular video, which has been used in medical practices, university courses, and corporate wellness programs, on which this book is based.
Lisa Mazzullo, M.D., is a practicing OB-GYN and assistant professor of OB-GYN at Northwestern University Medical School.