Synopses & Reviews
Start developing and selling the coolest apps using the latest Windows SDK
If you're a beginning developer, there's no better place to get up to speed on the Windows 8 SDK than this guide. A team of Microsoft experts walks you through the new, easy-to-understand, and inexpensive process for creating, deploying, marketing, and selling your own applications. They detail the ways in which the new Microsoft operating system now caters to Windows 8 style applications, and they highlight the exciting possibilities that Windows 8 style apps provide for traditional PCs, as well as a variety of newer devices. You'll quickly discover how to build your app from start to finish with the help of comprehensive samples and expert tips so that, in no time, you'll be taking full advantage of the SDK.
Beginning Windows 8 Application Development:
- Introduces you to the tools required to develop Windows 8 style applications
- Familiarizes you with standards, templates, and developer tools
- Explains how to leverage the tablet form factor and build location-aware apps
- Explores deploying applications to the Windows Store, while providing an overview of the app certification and publishing processs
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answer programming questions about this book, join discussions on the hottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmers from around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well as code samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters and tables of contents for hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programming topics that matter to you.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that guides you through all the techniques involved.
The book contents includes the following:
- An introduction to the Windows SDK and Windows 8
- Setting up the development environment
- Building your first Windows 8 application
- User interface design
- Touch and event driven design elements
- Usage of special effects and graphics
- Leveraging windows based services
- Offline applications development with HTML 5
- Creating C# applications for the Windows 8 system
- Yes, C++, you too can play
- XNA 4 and Silverlight 5 considerations
- Debug, certify and deploy
- Leveraging the new Winows 8 app store to sell and market your new program
Learn to use exciting new development tools and create applications for Windows 8
If you're a beginning developer, there's no better place to get up to speed on the Windows 8 SDK than this Wrox guide. A team of Microsoft experts provides a complete course in Windows 8 programming, helping you take full advantage of the innovative new SDK. Written in an easy-to-read style, this book is packed with reusable examples that showcase the endless possibilities of the Windows SDK and also introduces the new Windows 8 app store.
It explains how to set up the development environment and covers user interface design, using special effects and graphics, working with C# and C++, and much more.
- Provides a complete introduction to the Windows SDK and Windows 8, starting with setting up the development environment and building your first application
- Covers user interface design, touch- and event-driven design elements, leveraging windows-based services, and offline application development with HTML 5
- Explores creating C# applications for the Windows 8 system, XNA 4 and Silverlight 5 considerations, and the role of C++
- Shows how to debug, certify and deploy your applications
- Introduces the new Windows 8 app store and offers advice on marketing your apps
Beginning Windows 8 Application Development is perfect for anyone who's ready to get started developing apps for the exciting new Windows 8 OS.
About the Author
is a Microsoft MVP and Regional Director who is an associate of SoftwArt Ltd., a Hungarian IT services company.
György Balássy is a Microsoft MVP, Regional Director, and ASPInsider who is a founding member of the local MSDN Competence Center.
Zoltán Arvai is a Microsoft MVP who is a front-end architect and a user experience designer of NextGenSolutions Ltd.
Dávid Fülöp is a professional developer and software development trainer contracted by multiple companies and universities.
Table of Contents
PART I: INTRODUCTION TO WINDOWS 8 APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT
CHAPTER 1: A BRIEF HISTORY OF WINDOWS APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT 3
CHAPTER 2: USING WINDOWS 8 25
CHAPTER 3: WINDOWS 8 ARCHITECTURE FROM A DEVELOPER’S POINT OF VIEW 61
CHAPTER 4: GETTING TO KNOW YOUR DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT 89
PART II: CREATING WINDOWS 8 APPLICATIONS
CHAPTER 5: PRINCIPLES OF MODERN WINDOWS APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT 121
CHAPTER 7: USING XAML TO CREATE WINDOWS 8 STYLE USER INTERFACES 231
CHAPTER 8: WORKING WITH XAML CONTROLS 271
CHAPTER 9: BUILDING WINDOWS 8 STYLE APPLICATIONS 313
CHAPTER 10: CREATING MULTI-PAGE APPLICATIONS 357
CHAPTER 11: BUILDING CONNECTED APPLICATIONS 391
CHAPTER 12: LEVERAGING TABLET FEATURES 431
PART III: ADVANCING TO PROFESSIONAL WINDOWS 8 DEVELOPMENT
CHAPTER 13: CREATING WINDOWS 8 STYLE APPLICATIONS WITH C++ 465
CHAPTER 14: ADVANCED PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS 493
CHAPTER 15: TESTING AND DEBUGGING WINDOWS 8 APPLICATIONS 525
CHAPTER 16: INTRODUCING THE WINDOWS STORE 541
PART IV: APPENDICES
APPENDIX A: ANSWERS TO EXERCISES 559
APPENDIX B: USEFUL LINKS 573