Synopses & Reviews
These two fascinating cities reflect different aspects of China — Beijing is the traditional capital, the seat of political power and home to the ancient monuments of Imperial China; Shanghai is both a financial powerhouse and a city at the cutting edge of fashion with an interesting modern history.
This DK Eyewitness Travel Guide provides in-depth coverage of these cities, including Beijing's Great Wall and Forbidden City, Shanghai's Bund and the French Concession, as well as the water towns of Suzhou and Hangzhou, graced with serene and timeless gardens and lakes. Explore China's cultural heritage through richly illustrated features — on everything from Beijing Opera to Confucianism, Chinese Gardens, and the Cultural Revolution. Illustrated food features highlight the differing regional cuisines, and resident China experts have provided detailed listings of the best places to stay and eat. Specially devised walking tours take you easily to the heart of these bustling, enigmatic, and ultimately bewitching cities.
- Packed with photographs, illustrations, and maps
- Cutaways and floor plans of all the major sights
- 3-D aerial views of the city's most interesting districts
- Huge selection of hotels, restaurants, stores, and entertainment venues
- Specially devised walking tours
- Now includes a new durable, oversized pull-out map with useful transportation information, a distance chart, a street and sight index, and practical information for getting around the cities.