Synopses & Reviews
With information driving today's global economy, corporate librarians must become even more proactive in their daily assignments. Best Practices for Corporate LibrarieS≪/i> will help them do just that through a series of papers that offer an international array of opinion and practice methods.
This book showcases current practices in corporate library functions and suggests best practices for current librarians. It also examines some of the changes in librarianship that have arisen from changes in how information is provided and how corporations are now organized. Topics covered include library service functions, return on investment, measurements and evaluation, collaboration, communication and outreach in corporations, managing changes in the corporation and in the library, and legal issues such as intellectual property concerns. Drawing from the experience of 25 contributors, the book includes chapters covering corporate libraries in the United States, United Kingdom, India, Barbados, and Nigeria.
In this book, experts in the field describe best practices based on their experiences in corporate libraries worldwide.
In recent decades, corporate libraries have faced both downsizing and outsourcing, putting them on the forefront of changes to library structure and confronting them with a need to prove their worth, notwithstanding the fact that studies show higher-performing companies are more likely to have a corporate library. How can corporate libraries find new methods for providing necessary services?
• Provides practical advice on management and evaluation of corporate libraries
• Includes contributions from 25 practicing corporate librarians and scholars in library science from different countries and global corporations
• Will enable corporate librarians to better understand how traditional library values fit the for-profit sector
• 44 graphs and figures demonstrating concepts and providing data
• Six photographs of library events and services
• A glossary of business and library terms
• A bibliography for each chapter in the book