Synopses & Reviews
Leads readers from the dream stage through execution of their own additions project.
Includes information on where to shop for materials and how to work with design and building professionals.
120 gorgeous color photos of additions—from small dormers to entire second stories—will inspire readers with beautiful designs and help them visualize their own successful remodeling projects.
"Don't Do That!" tips throughout the book help readers avoid planning and design pitfalls.
Sidebars offer quick-to-read basics, such as: "The Top Ten" elements of a good floor plan and the "Money-Saver Top Ten" tips for keeping costs in line.
Questionnaires guide readers through their own planning stages.
Question-and-answer segments offer solutions to common problems.
- Specifically geared toward the beginning stages of planning an addition.
- Breaks complex information on structural, system, and site concerns into doable strategies.
- Discusses options for materials as well as heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning needs.
- Dozens of real-life inspirational photographs and detailed illustrations.
- Easy-to-use charts streamline and organize planning and make it a pleasant task.
- Prepares homeowners to work comfortably with a contractor to meet design and budget parameters.
About the Author
For more than 75 years the Better Homes and Gardens
brand has been one of America
’s most trusted sources for information on cooking, gardening, home improvement, home design, decorating and crafting. Through refreshing ideas, clear directions and beautiful photographs, the brand has inspired millions of Americans, with more than 38 million books sold since 1930, including the New Cook Book, New Garden Book,
and New Decorating Book
—all cornerstone titles in their categories. Today, the Better Homes and Gardens brand encompasses books, magazines, television, radio and online media. The greater BH&G family includes partner brands such as Family Circle, American Patchwork and Quilting, Country Garden
, and Diabetic Living, all of which publish under the BH&G imprint.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Dreaming and Scheming.
Chapter 2. Basic Design Strategies.
Chapter 3. Assessing Your Situation.
Chapter 4. Shaping the Design.
Chapter 5. Working with the Pros.
Chapter 6. Fine Tuning Your Project.
Chapter 7. Gallery of Projects.