Synopses & Reviews
Today, many people find they don t know kitchen basics, much less know how to cook a meal. Betty Crocker comes to the rescue in Cooking Basics, covering all the information anyone needs to cook, whether they are just leaving home, or discovering a need to cook at any age. Using the 100 appealing recipes here, anyone can learn to cook a complete meal. Nothing is intimidating, and every technique, term and ingredient is clearly explained. Each recipe has its own two-page spread, complete with a photo of the finished food and how-to photos of techniques used in the recipe. It s never been simpler to create a great dish!
Betty Crocker interviewed inexperienced cooks, to get just the the right recipes for this book, the ones novice cooks really want: hamburgers three way broiled, grilled or fried; Quick Lasagna; Teriyaki Chicken Stir-fry; Quick Chicken Soup; Shrimp Scampi; Quesadillas; Mashed Potatoes; Strawberry Shortcakes, and other tempting treats. Anyone can cook a dinner -- even entertain -- with these sure-fire recipes.
Did you think only gourmets tackled Thanksgiving dinner? Not with Betty Crocker. Included is a complete Thanksgiving feast, with a timetable so everything comes out just right. Whether you want to host the show, or bring a dish to help out your host, this Thanksgiving meal is perfect for everyone.
Also covered is how to set up a kitchen, how to read a recipe, a glossary of ingredients and a complete explanation of food preparation terms. Learn about fresh herbs--what they look like and how to use them -- plus complete easy-to-read listings of pasta shapes and salad greens. Sections on grilling, entertaining, table setting, and refrigerator and freezer storage guides complete the book, and make new cooks feel confident on all fronts. No longer does anyone have to be afraid of the kitchen. With Betty Crocker know-how and experience, you can cook up a great dinner!
The One Cookbook
You Need to Start Cooking with Confidence!
Do you want to fix your favorite foods, but aren't quite sure how? This new edition of Betty Crocker Cooking Basics is just what you need. Inside, you'll find easy recipes for all your favorites, including crowd-pleasers like Guacamole, Meat Loaf, Pad Thai and Strawberry Shortcake. For each recipe, illustrated techniques and goof-proof instructions guide you step by step to delicious resultseven if you're a total kitchen beginner. You also get lots of helpful kitchen tips, tricks and information that take the mystery out of meal preparation. Here is everything you need to start cooking with confidence.
112 simple, tasty recipes for the foods everyone loves
How-to photographs for each recipe illustrating key steps
Complete game plans for entertaining, including Thanksgiving Dinner
An illustrated guide to all the equipment you need to set up a kitchen
Photographs that demonstrate basic cooking techniques
Cooking times and nutrition information for every recipe
The lowdown on ingredients, cooking terms, food storage and more
The experts at the Betty Crocker kitchens present more than 110 recipes--each accompanied by a color photograph of the finished dish--plus how-to photos, tips, and variations.
- More than 110 of the recipes you most want to cook; every recipe has a color photoof the finished dish PLUS how-to photos, tips, and variations.
- Featured recipesinclude basic recipeslike Fresh Tomato Salsa, Cheesy Baked Rigatoni, Grilled Beef Steaks, Meatloaf, Roasted Autumn Vegetables and Pumpkin Pie, as well as contemporary disheslike Cheese Enchiladas, Pad Thai, Salmon with Mango Salsa and Garlic Smashed Potatoes.
- 525 photos in total,including beauty shots showing finished recipes, how-to photos illustrating preparation and cooking techniques, as well as kitchen equipment and ingredients.
- A get-togethers chapter includes a complete Thanksgiving dinner, do-ahead lasagna dinner, and weekend brunch.
- All the equipment you needto set up a kitchen, including helpful photographs. Information on getting started in the kitchen covers everything from brewing coffee to setting up a grill.
- The scoop on essential ingredients, herbs, spices, food storage, food safety, setting up a buffet--everything you need to feel at home in the kitchen
- Lots of "extras"aimed at how people eat today, including Vegetarian recipes flagged throughout, lighter variations for 200f recipes, and special features like Know Your Steak Cuts, About Salads and About Pastas.
Betty Crocker Helps You Cook with Confidence!
Your Guide to Easy and Delicious Everyday Cooking!
Do you yearn to cook something simple yet tasty for dinner, but aren't quiet sure how? Then Betty Crocker has the book for you!
We created COOKING BASICS because we heard from so many of you that you'd like extra help and guidance in the kitchen—whether you're a new cook or have some experience but would like to cook with greater confidence.
We began by asking new cooks what they'd like to know about cooking basics. You told us to include:
- The 100 recipes you must want to cook
- How-to photographs that show preparation techniques for each recipe
- Cook time with every recipe
- A complete Thanksgiving Dinner—you can do the whole thing yourself, or take a home-cooked dish to a friend's house or family gathering
- A do-ahead dinner that's perfect for stress-free casual entertaining
- All the equipment you need to set up a kitchen, including helpful photographs
- Photographs showing most basic cooking techniques
- Nutrition with every recipe
- Cooking ingredients and menu terns
- The scoop on herbs, spices, food storage—everything you need to feel at home in the kitchen
Let Betty Crocker make you a confident cook with this picture perfect book! You'll turn to make it again and again for everyday cooking that easy—and delicious
Betty Crocker Cooking Basics, Second Edition is the only cookbook you need to help you begin cooking with confidence, even if you barely know how to boil water. Fully updated to include 112 simple and tasty favorites like guacamole, meatloaf, and strawberry shortcake, the second edition of this comprehensive cooking guide even includes how-to photos for every recipe, advice on kitchen equipment, a reference to cooking terms, food storage tips, and cooking times and nutrition information. With game plans for special events like Thanksgiving Dinner, you will never go hungry!
About the Author
With more than 63 million cookbooks sold since 1950, BETTY CROCKER is the name readers trust for reliable recipes and great ideas. For over 75 years, Betty Crocker has provided advice to millions of Americans through cookbooks, magazines and television.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Hall of Fame Million Dollar Recipes.
Chapter 2. Soups and Sandwiches.
Chapter 3. Main Dishes.
Chapter 4. Side Dishes and Salads.
Chapter 5. Appetizers and Snacks.
Chapter 6. Breads.
Chapter 7. Breakfast, Sweet Rolls, and Coffee Cakes.
Chapter 8. Cookies and Bars.
Chapter 9. Cakes and Tortes.
Chapter 10. Pies and Tarts.
Chapter 11. Other Desserts.
Helpful Nutrition and Cooking Information.
Metric Conversion Guide.