Synopses & Reviews
The Big Feminist BUT: Comics about Women, Men and the IFs, ANDs and BUTs of Feminism is a comics anthology that asks: What do we really mean when we say, and#147;Iand#8217;m not a feminist, BUTand#133;and#8221; or and#147;I am 100% a feminist, BUTand#133;and#8221; What do our great big and#147;BUTsand#8221; say about where things stand between the sexes in the 21st Century? We asked some of the most talented ladies (and gentlemen) working in comics and animation today, along with some of the smartest writers we know including Lauren Weinstein, Jeffrey Brown, Sarah Oleksyk, Gabrielle Bell, Justin Hall, Ron Rege Jr., Vanessa Davis, Josh Neufeld, Andi Zeisler, Angie Wang, Ulli Lust (winner of the 34th annual Los Angeles Times Book Prize for graphic novels/comics) and a whole lot more, to and#147;butand#8221; into the heated discussion about the much more level but still contradictory playing field both sexes are struggling to find their footing on today.
What do we really mean when we say, and#147;Iand#8217;m not a feminist, BUTand#133;and#8221; or and#147;I am 100% a feminist, BUTand#133;and#8221;
About the Author
Shannon O'Leary is a writer and cartoonist living in Los Angeles. She is a regular contributor to Publishers Weekly and a contributing editor to The Beat: The News Blog of Comics and Culture. She was the editor of Pet Noir: An Illustrated Anthology of True Pet Crime Stories (Manic D Press, 2007).
Joan Reilly is an artist residing in Brooklyn, New York. She has contributed to the books Studs Terkel's Working: A Graphic Adaptation, I Saw You...: Comics Inspired by Real-Life Missed Connections, Pet Noir, Hi-Horse Omnibus and The Art of Spelling: The Madness and the Method by Marilyn vos Savant.
Gabrielle Bell was born in England and raised in California. Her work has been selected for the 2007, 2009, and 2010 Best American Comics and the Yale Anthology of Graphic Fiction, and she has contributed to McSweeneys, Bookforum, the Believer, and Vice. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.
Ulli Lust was born in 1967 in Vienna, Austria. Her cartooning work has mainly comprised comics reportages; Today Is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life is her first graphic novel, and her first work to be translated into English. She lives and works in Berlin, Germany.
Jeffrey Brown is an Eisner Award winner and NY Times Bestselling author/illustrator of Darth Vader and Son and Vaderand#8217;s Little Princess, both imagining what it would have been like if Darth Vader had raised a young Luke and Leia.
Table of Contents
5. Introduction by Shannon Oand#8217;Leary, Illustrations by Joan Reilly
9. Feminist, adj by MariNaomi
10. Same War by Kristina Collantes
12. Pillow Talk by Trevor Alixopulos and Vanessa Davis
14. Asking For It Story by Shannon Oand#8217;Leary, Art by Ric Carrasquillo, Layouts by Oand#8217;Leary and Carrasquillo
24. Must Respect Womenand#8217;s Power. No Experience Necessary Story by Mark Pritchard, Art by Liz Baillie
30. Manifestation by Gabrielle Bell
37. Times Iand#8217;ve Been Mistaken For a Man Story by Beth Lisick, Art by MK Reed
42. I Donand#8217;t by Hilary Florido
45. Am I a Spinster Yet? by Corinne Mucha
53. What If I Donand#8217;t Want to Have a Baby? by Abby Denson
57. How To Make a Man Out of Tin Foil by Barry Deutsch
66. She-Drive by Joan Reilly
68. My Horrible Heroines by Shaenon K. Garrity
74. Eminent Victorians Story by Suzanne Kleid, Art by Joan Reilly
80. Cartoon by Emily Flake ?81. Queer, Eh? by Virginia Paine
89. Marriage is Super by Justin Hall
96. Intersections by Angie Wang
98. Cartoon by Emily Flake?99. The Dead of Night by Dylan Williams?113. Skadiand#8217;s Wolves by Sarah Oleksyk
121. Prostitutes: For Teens by Jen Wang
127. Adam and Lilith by Ron Regand#233;, Jr.
133. Cartoon by Emily Flake?134. Playmate and Me Story by Sari Wilson, Art by Josh Neufeld?138. Pixie Story by Charlie Jane Anders, Art by Britt Wilson
142. Her Fat Feminist Ass by Ulli Lust and Kai Pfeiffer
154. Container by Stina Land#246;fgren
158. Flowering by Angie Wang
159. Cartoon by Emily Flake
160. Untethered Story by Lisa Ullmann, Art by Kat Roberts?172. Cartoon by Emily Flake
173. If This Is All You Get by Lauren Weinstein
177. Boyand#8217;s Life by Andi Zeisler
183. Doesnand#8217;t This Baby Realize Weand#8217;re Trying to Redefine Gender Roles? by Jeffrey Brown
190. The Labyrinth by Andrice Arp and Jesse Reklaw
196. Afterword by Noah Berlatsky
198. About Our Contributors
200. Pool Butts by Jen Wang
Inside Back Cover. Lady Oaf by Ed Luce