Synopses & Reviews
Mysterious and misunderstood, Belarus remains an enigma at the heart of Europe. This new edition of the first and only English-language guidebook to Belarus gives you all the information needed to get the best from this lost world. Explore Minsk, Belarus's modern city, built as a memorial to the glory of Soviet communism or step beyond the capital and find a wealth of riches that remain largely unknown to the outside world: the natural splendour of primeval forests, rivers and lakes; flora and fauna in abundance; stunning museums empty of visitors; rich culture and tradition; historical sites dating back to the Middle Ages; beautiful churches; Russian Orthodoxy and the genuine warmth of a people who believe that the rest of the world has either forgotten them or has no interest in their wellbeing.
This new edition of the only English language guide available solely on Belarus, opens the door on the many hidden delights of a country that Europe almost forgot.
Table of Contents
PART ONE GENERAL INFORMATION
(3) Chapter 1 Background Information
(4) Chapter 2 Practical Information
PART TWO THE GUIDE
(5) Chapter 3 Minsk City and Oblast
(6) Chapter 4 Brest City and Oblast
(7) Chapter 5 Grodno City and Oblast
(8) Chapter 6 Vitebsk City and Oblast
(9) Chapter 7 Mogilev City and Oblast
(10) Chapter 8 Gomel City and Oblast
(11) Appendix 1 Language 213
(12) Appendix 2 Further Reading