Synopses & Reviews
Do you feel anxious, frazzled, or fatigued? Are you struggling with addiction, attention deficits, depression, or compulsive behaviors? Could your mind or memory be sharper? If so, these are tell-tale signs that your brain could use a tune-up. Fortunately, as author Ralph Carson explains, the brain is a very forgiving organ, and in this compelling guide, he reveals the many ways we can heal our brains from the assaults of everyday life and avoid specific situations that injure brain health.
With a prescriptive blend of science, personal anecdotes, and advice, Carson shares what he has gleaned on the front lines, helping thousands of people overcome brain-based conditions and mood disorders including ADD, anxiety, depression, psychological trauma, and more. In The Brain Fix, Carson reveals an arsenal of proven tools and techniques that help regenerate new cells and connections in the brain. He shares a myriad of simple changes to make in your environment, diet, sleep habits, exercise routines, and emotional life that will yield both immediate and long-term changes to your brain.
Carson's desire to learn about the brain was deeply personal: When he was a teenager, his mother died unexpectedly from a cerebral hemorrhage at forty-four; his grandmother was diagnosed with dementia in her early sixties; and his sister died from a rare form of brain cancer in her fifties. In this illuminating and empowering guide, Carson reveals why--and how--we should give rightful attention to the body's most complex organ with essential advice for bettering your brain. You'll discover:
- How to rewrite your genetic blueprint when it comes to decision making, impulse control, creativity, and mood stabilization: Although genetics play a key role in individual susceptibility, vulnerability, and capacity to heal from brain-based disorders, heredity is not necessarily destiny. Learn the best practices to follow that can rewrite your brain's blueprint and put you in control.
- How to feed your brain for optimal functioning: Discover how to fuel your brain with the right foods and supplements that foster brain plasticity--foods which can reverse years of damage from poor diet, addictions, or eating disorders.
- How to be mindful and why it matters: Discover why being mindful can aid in poor decision making and a lack of impulse control and how to master this elusive skill.
- How to alter your stress response. Learn how chronic worry can take a toll on your brain; by learning how to control your stress response, you lessen the the damaging effects of the daily grind.
- How to design a brain-friendly environment: While the modern world offers many conveniences, it also assaults your brain on a daily basis, sapping it of its full potential; learn some key fixes for your home and habits.
About the Author
Ralph E. Carson, LD, RD, PhD, has been involved in the clinical treatment of addictions, obesity, and eating disorders for more than thirty years using a neuropsychobiological approach. With a BS from Duke University and BHS from Duke University Medical School, coupled with a BS in nutrition from Oakwood College and a PhD in nutrition from Auburn University, he offers a unique understanding of health, wellness, exercise, and nutrition and how they all affect brain health. He currently consults with numerous addiction and eating disorder treatment centers throughout the country as well as being a highly sought-after speaker at various conferences and workshops. He is an active board member of the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (IAEDP). Working with Academy Medical Systems, he developed workshops for professional groups throughout the United States on topics such as exercise therapy, sports nutrition, eating disorders, and childhood obesity.