Synopses & Reviews
Experience the excitement of building your own champion battling bot!
Build a powerful and invincible robot--for full-blown competition or just for fun--using this authoritative robot resource. This team of experts gives you an inside look at the innovative new world of robotic combat, explaining the origins of the sport as well as all the elements that go into constructing a fighting robot. You'll learn technical basics from motors and wiring to locomotion, and read builders' true stories from the front lines of robot competition. Whether or not you're mechanically-minded, you'll find this book both entertaining and informative. Fully capturing the spirit of the sport, this detailed guide shows you how an imagination and a few bits of metal can start you on your way to constructing your own champion bot.
- Plan, design, and build your own battling robot
- Discover how electric motors work and choose the right type for your design
- Learn about both wheeled and walking robots
- Incorporate creative weapons and armor on your bot--learn the pros and cons of spinning hammers, jabbing spikes, buzzing saw blades, and more
- Minimize radio interference--so you can effectively control your bot to do what you want, when you want
- Understand what goes into building fully autonomous robots
- Save money on parts and equipment by enlisting help from company sponsors
- Read true stories from combat roboteers and learn which types of constructions work and which don't
Create your own powerful battling robot from start to finish using this easy-to-follow manual. Robotics experts Pete Miles and Tom Carroll explain the science and technology behind robots, and show you what materials you need to build and program a robot for home, school, and competition.
This title entertains and informs new robot enthusiasts while giving readers everything they'll need to know to create their own battling robot.
Table of Contents
1: Welcome to Competition Robots
2: Getting Started
3: Robot Locomotion
4: Motor Selection and Performance
5: Its All About Power
6: Power Transmission: Getting Power to Your Wheels
7: Controlling Your Motors
8: Remotely Controlling Your Robot
9: Robot Material and Construction Techniques
10: Weapons Systems for Your Robot
11: Autonomous Robots
12: Robot Brains
13: Robot Sumo
14: Real-Life Robots: Lessons from Veteran Builders
A: Prototyping Electronics
B: Resources and References
C: Helpful Formulas