Synopses & Reviews
If you’ve dreamed about having a customized multimedia PC or one tricked out for your favorite games, build your own and make your dreams come true! Build Your Own PC Do-It-Yourself For Dummies
makes it easy.
Not only is building your own PC a really rewarding project, it can also save you a nice chunk of cash. This step-by-step guide helps you decide what you need, teaches you what all those computer terms mean, and tells you exactly how to put the pieces together. It shows you:
- What tools you need (not as many as you might think!)
- All about operating systems
- How to install CD and DVD drives
- The scoop on sound and video, and how to put a sound system together from start to finish
- How to connect a monitor and install a modem
- All about setting up and configuring the hard drive
- Secrets for securing your system, and more
Included is a bonus DVD showing you how to install the motherboard, CPU, RAM, ports, hard drive, video and sound cards, a DVD drive, and more. With Build Your Own PC Do-It-Yourself For Dummies, you can have the computer you want plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself!
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
* Packed with over 300 detailed, step-by-step photos and illustrations-including eight pages in full color-this innovative guide breaks the PC-building process into small, easily achievable tasks
* A bonus DVD starring the author shows people how tackle key steps, including building the foundation, adding a processor and RAM, installing a video card, setting up a hard drive, hooking up CD and DVD drives, and installing an operating system
* From selecting parts to troubleshooting problems, this is the clearest, most accessible PC-building guide ever-a book whose progressive, task-by-task chapters show people exactly how to construct the computer they've always wanted
* Includes options for creating every type of specialized PC, from souped-up gaming and multimedia machines to inexpensive office and family computers
Build the custom PC you want just the way you want it and have fun doing it!
Are you frustrated because you can't buy the PC you want? Have you ever wanted to create your own custom PC but were unfamiliar with all of the parts and terminology? This book is your new best friend!
This illustrated, hands-on guide will help you choose the best components for the PC that's right for you. Inside the book, we walk you through the assembly process in simple, can-do language. Plus, you get a bonus DVD containing 45 minutes of step-by-step video instructions that show you how to build your own PC. It's like having an expert right beside you all the way!
About the Author
Mark L. Chambers has been building, customizing, and repairing PCs for over 20 years for himself and clients. As a consultant, he helps everyday folks update, maintain, and troubleshoot PCs.
Table of Contents
Part I: Preparations and Planning.
Chapter 1: A Screwdriver Is All You Need.
Chapter 2: What Type of PC Should I Build?
Part II: Assembling the Basics.
Chapter 3: Building the Foundation: The Case and Motherboard.
Chapter 4: A Bag of Chips: Adding RAM and a CPU.
Chapter 5: Installing Your Ports, Mouse, and Keyboard.
Chapter 6: Adding Video Hardware.
Chapter 7: Installing Your Hard Drive and Other Storage Devices.
Chapter 8: Choosing and Installing an Operating System.
Part III: Adding the Fun Stuff.
Chapter 9: Installing an Optical Drive.
Chapter 10: Let Your PC Rock!
Chapter 11: Modems and the Call of Broadband.
Part IV: Advanced PC Options.
Chapter 12: So You Want to Add a LAN?
Chapter 13: Input and Output: Scanners, Cameras, and Printers.
Chapter 14: Building a Gaming PC.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 15: Ten Tools and Tasks for a Power User’s PC.
Chapter 16: Ten Important Assembly Tips.
Chapter 17: Ten Ways to Maintain Your PC.
Chapter 18: Ten PC Pitfalls to Avoid Like the Plague.
Part VI: Appendixes.
Appendix A: About the DVD.
Appendix B: The PC Builder’s Glossary.