Synopses & Reviews
Introducing wireless LANs, the fastest way to network computers!
Whether you are connecting your laptop PC to the Internet or building a sophisticated wireless LAN for your company, this comprehensive guide will give you the information you need to make your design a success! In progressive steps, you will move from learning the fundamentals of WLAN technology to working on increasingly complex wireless projects. You will learn how to build and use wireless LANs for home, office, business, and campus and Internet access.
BUILD YOUR OWN WIRELESS NETWORK:
* Shows you how to design, install, and configure IEEE 802.11 wireless LANs at data rates of 11 – 54 Mbps, and higher!
* Explains how radio-frequency operation works
* Gets to the bottom of IEEE 802.11, 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g
* Discusses WLAN operation with Bluetooth or HomeRF
* Makes you familiar with wireless network interface cards, access points, antennas, cabling, and amplifiers
* Supplies details on operating WLANs with PCs, cell phones, and PDAs
* Includes information on integrating your WLAN with complete home automation systems
YOU'LL ALSO LEARN HOW TO:
* Provide authentication, access, security, encryption, routing, and firewalling for WLANs
* Extend the range of your WLAN coverage using directional antennas
* Perform field measurements to verify coverage
* Manage potential sources of interference and noise
* Install point-to-point and point-to-multipoint bridge links
* Interface your WLAN to high-speed DSL and Cable Modem access lines
Here’s your complete guide to connecting PCs and PDAs wirelessly for an entire building…or just to surf the Internet from your easy chair!
Complete deployment plan for a simple wireless network, and the projects to build them
About the Author
JAMES TRULOVE is a networking consultant and author with over 25 years of experience with networking companies, including Alteon Web Systems, Nortel Networks, Lucent Technology, Cisco, Motorola, and Intel. In his consulting work, he designs and installs wired and wireless LANs for corporate clients, and advises clients on network and Internet infrastructure. His classic reference LAN Wiring: An Illustrated Network Cabling Guide (McGraw-Hill 2000) is now available in revised edition.
Table of Contents
Wireless LAN Basics
Wireless Internet in Every Room
Home Office and Small Office Wireless LANs
Virtual Office from Your Easy Chair
Wireless LAN Security
The High-tech Home
Wireless Office and Campus LANs
Internet-enabled Cellular Phones and PDA's