Synopses & Reviews
High-precision location information is increasingly useful for mobile application developers, since it allows devices to interact with the world around them. This practical book shows you how to achieve arms reach accuracy with iBeacons, simple transmitters that enable your applications to react to nearby surroundings and then deliver timely, relevant information—especially indoors, where GPS and cell service are inaccurate.
Whether youre enabling a map, giving users directions, creating a game, recommending purchases, letting users check in, or creating an immersive experience, youll learn how iBeacons provide precise location information, empowering your applications to engage and interact with users nearby.
- Get examples of several application types you can build with iBeacons
- Learn how iBeacons provide applications with proximity information
- Set up, activate, and test iBeacons on both specialized and general-purpose hardware
- Explore the APIs and tools you need to develop location-aware mobile applications
- Use built-in iOS features to interact with iBeacons, including Passbook
- Build networks to help shoppers, travelers, conference attendees, and others find what theyre looking for
Information on pinpoint locations can be extremely useful for mobile application developers, but that precise level of detail is difficult to achieve, especially indoors, where GPS signals and cellular service might be weak or unreachable. With this practical book, youll learn how to use iBeacons with your applications to determine a users location within a few inches and deliver timely, relevant information.
Whether you are enabling a map, giving users directions and information, recommending purchases, or offering targeted advertisements, this book shows you how to build applications that use high-accuracy proximity information to drive user engagement. Youll learn how iBeacons offer such precise location information, how to set up iBeacons, and how to use them in applications that interact with and engage users.
- Learn the kind of data iBeacons transmit and how they provide proximity information to applications
- Explore how to enhance applications with proximity and range information
- Set up iBeacons on both specialized and general-purpose hardware
- Understand APIs and tools used to develop location-aware mobile applications
About the Author
Matthew Gast is the director of product management at Aerohive Networks, responsible for the software that powers Aerohive's networking devices. He has been active within the Wi-Fi community, serving as the chair of both security task groups at the Wi-Fi Alliance, where he leads efforts to extend the Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) certification to incorporate newly developed security technologies and drive adoption of the strongest forms of security by network administrators. He also led the Wi-Fi Alliance's Wireless Network Management marketing task group's investigation of certification requirements for new power-saving technologies. Matthew is also the past chair of the task group that produced the 802.11-2012 revision.