Synopses & Reviews
Access the latest technologies in data communications and networking!
The rapid integration of voice and data… Terabit and pedabit speeds on the horizon… The future of data communications and networking is being shaped right now.
If you want to stay on the cutting edge of these exciting developments, you’ll not only need to keep up with new technologies, you’ll also need to build a solid foundation of fundamental data communications and networking concepts. With FitzGerald and Dennis’s Business Data Communications and Networking, 8th Edition, you can do both.
Updated and revised with new technologies, new applications, and new examples, this Eighth Edition offers balanced coverage of the technical and managerial aspects of data communications to help you understand how networks operate and how to successfully apply them.
- New chapter on wireless LANs (Chapter 7) discusses WLAN topology, media access control, and transmission of 802.11a, b, and g, as well as BlueTooth.
- A thoroughly revised security chapter (Chapter 11) includes new information on rapidly emerging threats, as well as more information on important controls.
- The appendices provide more detailed discussions of IP telephony and spanning tree protocol.
- Includes best practices recommendations for designing LANs, Backbones, MANs, WANs, and WLANs, based on effective data rates.
- Additional mini-cases in each chapter show how real organizations are using telecommunications and networking.
- New A Day in the Life boxes highlight practical tips and career information.
- New online animations help you visualize basic data communications processes. Access the animations with the registration code included in this text.
Completely updated, the best-selling business networking reference returns. The eighth edition includes the changes necessary for the fast-paced networking environment. While technologies and applications change rapidly, the fundamental concepts evolve much more slowly; they provide the foundation from which new technologies and applications can be understood, evaluated, and compared. The new edition features a chapter on wireless LANS, an expansion of the security chapter to include more on security design and new technologies, and more coverage of technology design material on network design including a selection of technologies and best practices for network design. This book is the market leader known for its technical accuracy and cutting-edge orientation.
Updated with the latest advances in the field, Jerry FitzGerald and Alan Dennis' Ninth Edition of Business Data Communications and Networking provides the fundamental concepts, cutting-edge coverage, balanced presentation, and practical, real-world applications that professionals and students need to succeed in this fast-moving field.
Table of Contents
PART 1: INTRODUCTION.
Chapter 1. Introduction
PART 2: FUNDAMENTALS.
Chapter 2. Application Layer.
Chapter 3. Physical Layer.
Chapter 4. Data Link Layer.
Chapter 5. Network and Transport Layers.
PART 3: NETWORK TECHNOLOGIES.
Chapter 6. Local Area Networks.
Chapter 7. Wireless Local Area Networks.
Chapter 8. Backbone Networks.
Chapter 9. Metropolitan and Wide Area Networks.
Chapter 10.The Internet.
PART 4: NETWORK MANAGEMENT.
Chapter 11. Network Security.
Chapter 12. Network Design.
Chapter 13. Network Management.
PART 5: APPENDICES
Appendix A: Connector Cables.
Appendix B: Systems Network Architecture.
Appendix C: Spanning Tree Protocol.
Appendix D: IP Telephony.
Appendix E: Token Ring.
Appendix F: Cellular Technologies.
Appendix G: TCP/IP Game.