Synopses & Reviews
On the forefront of the mobile gaming revolution are real people with stories that are crazy, stressful, hilarious, and, in some cases, heart-wrenching. Written by respected video game journalist Ryan Rigney, with a foreword by John Davison, Buttonless tells the stories of the people behind the games.
Rigney takes you on a tour that covers more than 65 of the best and most beloved iPhone and iPad games, telling the never-before-heard tales behind them. Based on more than 100 exclusive interviews with some of the biggest names in iOS development, Buttonless chronicles the adversities that top developers had to overcome and delivers numerous funny/interesting anecdotes from behind the scenes of the iTunes App Store.
- George Fan - Lead Designer of Plants vs. Zombies
- Kris Piotrowski - Lead Designer of Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP
- Jaakko Iisalo - Lead Designer of Angry Birds
- Katherine Anna Kang - Head of id Mobile and Lead Designer of Doom II RPG
- Justin Smith - Creator of Enviro-Bear 2010
- Paul Bettner - Lead Designer of Words With Friends
- Simon Oliver - Creator of Rolando
- Donald Mustard - Lead Designer of Infinity Blade
... and plenty of others
You'll also learn:
- The real origins of Angry Birds
- How iOS critical darling Jet Car Stunts was born from one of the worst games of 1999 Carmageddon 3
- Canabalt creator Adam Saltsman's weird obsession with leaping out of windows
- How the first-ever Iraqi video game went unpublished for 20 years before becoming an iOS exclusive
- The tweet that saved Words With Friends
- The napkin drawing that became the biggest-selling comic book series on the App Store
If you own an iPhone, iPod, or iPad and are interested in gaming, then this book will be your absolute best resource. Written by an established video game journalist and with contributions from leading gamers, the book presents some of the most interesting iPhone and iPad games, along with stories of the people behind these games. It describes hundreds of titles, including well-known games and hidden gems. An excellent resource for serious gamers, the book provides insight into the development of games for the iOS platform.