Synopses & Reviews
Practical, proven caregiver advice you won't find anywhere else
Not so long ago it was your mother and father leading you down the road to self-sufficiency; now it's you they depend on as they come to grips with growing older and losing their independence. You're not alone. Fifty-four million adults find themselves falling into the role of full- or part-time caregiver for an aging or disabled family member. In The Caregiver's Essential Handbook, you'll find useful tips for meeting the changing needs of your loved one, such as:
- Getting organized: from locating important documents to simplifying financial issues
- Staying safe: from installing easy-access guard rails to protecting against fraud
- Dealing with health issues: from physical health to emotional well-being
- Navigating medical care: from a simple checkup to an extended hospital stay
- Searching for help: from home health care to assisted living
The tasks of caregiving can seem insurmountable. With the financial headaches, physical challenges, and time commitments it's easy to feel overwhelmed. The Caregiver's Essential Handbook can help you manage the issues one solution at a time.
For the 54 million Americans who currently care for aging parents and loved ones, this important resource provides essential information for solving day-to-day problems in the real world.
The Caregiver's Essential Handbook includes valuable insights and commonsense tips from those who have walked in their shoes: nursing professionals, physical therapists, social workers, and loving family members whose creativity and resurcefulness offer immediate help to those in need. Here are practical solutions for saving money on medication; getting doctors to really listen; making life easier for people who are visually, hearing, or mentally impaired; and most important, taking care of oneself.