Synopses & Reviews
More than ever, boaters need a single comprehensive reference that combines the best traditions of seamanship with cutting-edge practices, gear, and technology. That's why, for nearly a century, Chapman Piloting & Seamanship
has remained the most respected and widely used guide for boating under power and sail. No other book on the subject is more current or complete. This 67th revised edition is not only fully updated, it is also enhanced in fundamental ways. Key additions include a new chapter on inboard diesel and gasoline engines; how-to maintenance information for outboard, sterndrive, and inboard engines; a complete integration of the tools and techniques of electronic navigation (GPS, chartplotters, and radar) with Chapman
's unsurpassed treatment of traditional chart-and-compass piloting skills; improved coverage of sailing theory and sail-handling systems; updated techniques for rescuing a person overboard and administering CPR; and the latest information on new anchor designs, safety gear, rope, hardware, and communications. You'll also find information about weather, tides, aids to navigation, and more, including:
- Explanations of the laws, regulations, fees, and equipment requirements governing the nation's waterways. No other book is more current than Chapman in this regard
- 1,500 all-color photos, charts, and drawings
- Updated references for government publications, registration and safety information, and more, both in print and online
Anyone who sets forth on the water needs this indispensable volume.
With millions of copies sold, Chapman Piloting has been the leading reference for both power and sail boaters for nearly a century. Now this absolutely essential guidewith 928 pages, 1,500 full-color illustrations and charts, and exploded views and cutawaysis thoroughly updated with all the latest information on US federal laws, regulations, and fees. In fact, NO competing book is more current on this ever-changing sport. Chapman covers the newest technology; the most recent laws; the most up-to-date rules of boat handling, navigation, safety, and etiquette. Anyone who puts a craft on water needs the vital information in this world-recognized bible of boating.
- Most up-to-date Federal laws, regulations, and fees
- The latest developments in outboard motors and inboard vectored thrust propulsion systems, including joystick controls - New mayday procedures
- Cutting edge technology: VHF/DSC radio; Rescue 21 coastal communication system; networking electronic devices; features and capabilities of GPS, radar, depth sounder, fish finders, and chartplotters; eLoran system; autopilot; NMEA 2000 and more
- Latest United States Power Squadron updates
- Expanded contact information for governmental and commercial organizations
Chapman is the “bible of boating,” the one-stop guide that boaters can't do without. Key highlights of this fully revised edition include a new section on boat systems; complete integration of the tools of electronic navigation with traditional boating techniques; improved coverage of sailing theory; updates of all federal rules and regulations; enhanced discussion of rescue and CPR techniques; updated references; 1,500 color photos, charts, and drawings; and much more!
About the Author
Consulting Editor Elbert S. “Mack” Maloney has been associated with Chapman Piloting & Seamanship
as a contributor and author since 1965. He is the author of several Hearst boating books and two editions of Dutton's Navigation & Piloting
. He was a member and Vice-Chairman of the U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Safety Advisory Council and remains Chairman Emeritus of the National Advisory Council of Boat U.S.
Contributing Editor Peter A. Janssen is a lifelong boater, a Coast Guard Auxiliary Association board member, and a member of the New York Yacht Club. He has been Editorial Director of Motor Boating, Editorial Director of Yachting, and Editor-in-Chief and Publisher of Motor Boating & Sailing.
Editor Jonathan Eaton has developed, edited, and published some 500 boating books through the course of a long career as editor and publisher of McGraw-Hill's International Marine imprint of boating books.