Synopses & Reviews
Children's Encyclopedia Ocean is packed with amazing facts about the world's oceans and beyond Children aged 7+ will dive into this highly visual encyclopedia, which includes detailed information about coral reefs, seashores and marine life.
With captivating images, fun illustrations and expert information, Children's Encyclopedia Ocean is the ultimate guide to ocean life. Children can discover how coral reefs grow, which whale can sing and what are the most famous shipwrecks found at the bottom of the ocean. Learning is encouraged through quizzes, fun cartoons and simple projects that can be done at home. This is a great ocean encyclopedia for kids aged 7+.
Essential topics covered in Children's Encyclopedia Ocean:
- Seashore: Land meets sea, Estuaries and lagoons, and Seaside adventures
- Coral Reefs: Coral animals, The Great Barrier Reef, and Underwater explorers
- Deep Ocean: In deep water, Monsters of the deep, and Glow in the dark
- Whales and Dolphins: Inside whales and dolphins, Fast and sleek, and Getting together
- Shipwrecks: Diving discoveries, Pirate wrecks, and Shipwreck mysteries
Examples of 'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
- Coral reefs are very slow growers. A reef can grow about 10 centimetres a year if conditions are just right - how much have you grown in the last year?
- The seabed of the Antarctic Ocean had some mega-sized animals. Scientists found giant spiders and worms, and fish with huge eyes and body parts that scientists described as 'dangly bits'.
- The sperm whale has the biggest brain in the world. It weighs about 8 kilograms - that's over five times the size of a human brain. But its large brain does not mean that it is the cleverest animal.
Activities to make learning fun include:
- Make heavy water Adding one special ingredient, how can you make one identical glass of water heavier than the other?
- Create your own dolphin show - complete with flips and tricks
- Does it float? Collect four waterproof items and predict whether you think they will sink or float. Did you predict correctly?
Dimensions: 8.75 X 11.25