Synopses & Reviews
Children’s Literature: Discovery for a Lifetime
is an indispensable tool that teachers, librarians, and parents can use to create and foster children’s interest in books. The authors concisely illuminate the highest quality of children’s literature, choosing titles that will captivate children and promote a lifetime of reading.
The fourth edition of this popular text now features:
- NEW! Classroom snapshots that provide concrete examples of teachers promoting cognitive development with literature.
- NEW! Emphasis on graphic novels and manga across several chapters.
- NEW! A chapter dedicated to exploring sensitive and contemporary issues in children’s literature.
Readers will also be able to:
- Explore wide-ranging examples of current and classic literature in all genres—picture books, poetry, traditional literature, modern fantasy, realistic fiction, historical fiction, and nonfiction books—to understand, select and evaluate children’s literature.
- Review extensive lists of literature references and recommended children’s books by descriptors, genre designations, grade levels, publisher, and copyright information.
- Stimulate reading and an exploration of children’s literature withpractical Classroom Activities that arealigned with the IRA and NCTE standards.
- Focus on multicultural literature, illustrating the need to choose books that reflect the voices of many cultural groups and that foster an understanding, appreciation, and respect for our diverse society.
- Engage children in author and illustrator studies with great models described in Biographical Profiles.
- Learn how to develop children’s social and cultural consciousness by exploring literature-based units that cut across cultures in the Unit Studies chapter.
How do you captivate children with literature, promoting a lifetime of reading?
This book's purpose is to educate teachers, librarians, and parents about the art of capturing and nurturing children's interest in books. This text offers readers:
Through this text, readers will also be able to:
- NEW! A wealth of current and classic literature titles for children of all cultures and abilities
- NEW! Expanded chapters on traditional literature, modern fantasy, nonfiction, and biography
- NEW! Technology references and links to Internet resources for literature
- Explore the content and distinctive characteristics of picture books, poetry, traditional literature, modern fantasy, realistic fiction, historical fiction, and nonfiction books in the detailed chapters
- Learn to understand, select, and evaluate children's literature using the abundance of information, figures, and tables in each chapter
- Search for children's literature by author, title, topic, high-interest, publisher, and award-winning distinctions using the extensive database located on the enclosed CD-ROM
- Become acquainted with authors and illustrators who serve as great models for classroom study in the Biographical Profiles
- Discover authentic ways to stimulate children's response to literary experiences in the Classroom Activities
- Find out how to develop children's social and cultural consciousness by exploring literature-based units that cut across cultures in the Unit Studies chapter
The goal of the fourth edition of Children's Literature: Discovery for a Lifetime is to help teachers, librarians, and parents infuse literature into children's lives and to promote a lifelong interest in books. The theme is "literature for a lifetime." Some of the key elements of this text are to help educators select books that will enhance children's learning and development, implement literature in the classroom that will support the curriculum and meet established standards, identify books children will respond to, share literature that will stimulate their responses, infuse literature into elementary classrooms and homes, choose appropriate literature for English Language Learners, and enhance literature experiences with the computer and the Internet.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Children's Literature
2. Understanding Literature
3. Issues Relating to Literature for Children and Young Adults
4. Picture Books: Visual and Verbal Art
5. Poetry for Every Child
6. Traditional Literature: Stories Old and New
7. Modern Fantasy: Today's Magic
8. People Now: Contemporary Realistic Fiction
9. People Then: Historical Fiction
10. Truth is Stranger than Fiction: Nonficiton
11. Biography: Fascinating Real Life
12. Literature about Children with Real-Life Challenges
13. Literature about Children in Many Cultures
14. Oral and Silent Literature
15. Engaging with and Responding to Children's Literature
16. Unit Studies: Learning with Literature