Synopses & Reviews
In Circling the Bases, leading sports economist Andrew Zimbalist continues his discussion and analysis of the major issues and challenges confronting the sports industry in the second decade of the 21st century. Presenting a general overview of the sports business at both the college and professional levels, this volume places concerns such as the antitrust status of sports leagues, the stalled progress of gender equity in college sports, and the control of Performance Enhancing Drugs in historical context.
Zimbalist also provides a deeper understanding of how sports have fared and changed with the sharpening financial crisis and 2009 economic downturn—from the morphing role of salary caps and revenue distribution and the rapid escalation of college coaches' compensation to the financing of sports facilities and the economic impact of hosting the Olympic Games.
In Circling the Bases, Zimbalist continues to show how the business of sports is evolving and how the sports industry is becoming more closely linked with the corporate sector and thus more vulnerable to the vicissitudes of the U.S. and world economies. Zimbalist deftly shows how sports are facing the uncertainties of the future and what the implications are for sports fans, players, owners, and leagues.
About the Author
Andrew Zimbalist is Robert A. Woods Professor of Economics at Smith College. He is the author or editor of nineteen previous books, including and In the Best Interest of Baseball? The Revolutionary Reign of Bud Selig. He is a member of the Editorial Board of The Journal of Sports Economics, and has consulted extensively in the sports industry for players associations, leagues, cities, and owners.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Perspectives on the Sports Industry Toward the Second Decade of the Twenty-First Century
2. Dollar Dilemmas during the Downturn: A Financial Crossroads for College Sports
3. The BCS, Antitrust, and Public Policy
4. Gender Equity in Intercollegiate Athletics: Economic Considerations and Possible Fixes
5. Reflections on Salary Shares and Salary Caps
6. Facility Finance: Measurement, Trends, and Analysis
7. Going for Gold: The Financing and Economic Impact of the Olympic Games
8. Performance-Enhancing Drugs and Antidoping Policy in Major League Baseball: Experience, Incentives, and Challenges