Synopses & Reviews
Circuits, Devices and Systems: A First Course in Electrical Engineering Fifth Edition Ralph J. Smith Richard C. Dorf Announcing the Fifth Edition of the leading circuits text in the field! This proven introduction presents integrated coverage of modern electrical engineering circuits, digital and analog electronics, and electromechanics. Geared to undergraduate engineering majors taking the first course in electrical engineering, this comprehensive text features extensive treatment of microprocessors and how they have revolutionized electronic design. Throughout the text the emphasis is on preparing students to solve practical problems. Well-organized, worked-out examples, review questions, exercises, and problems illustrate new concepts, and each chapter features interesting motivational material, a set of objectives at the beginning of each chapter, and glossaries of new terms and concepts. Some of the outstanding features that have made previous editions so successful include:
- Chapters 13, 14, and 15 provide a treatment of digital electronics that is not available in other books
- Chapters 26 provide a balanced and integrated treatment of electrical circuits
- Early introduction of diodes and op amps in Chapter 3 and coverage of cathode-ray tubes in Chapter 10 provide interesting applications and background for a lab for the circuits part of your course
- Approximately 195 well-written, worked-out examples clearly illustrate concepts
- A bound instructors guide with solutions for all exercises, problems, and advanced problems, and 150 transparency masters is available to adopters
You wont find a more up to date, teachable text for the first course in electrical engineering!
This introduction to modern electrical engineering contains material on circuitry, electronics and electromechanics. It has been revised and updated to include coverage of microprocessors and to reflect the latest changes in the rapidly developing field of electronics.
This book is also available through the Introductory Engineering Custom Publishing System. If you are interested in creating a course-pack that includes chapters from this book, you can get further information by calling 212-850-6272 or sending email inquiries to engineerjwiley.com. The authors offer a set of objectives at the beginning of each chapter plus a clear, concise description of abstract concepts. Focusing on preparing students to solve practical problems, it includes numerous colorful illustrative examples. Along with updated material on MOSFETS, the CRO for use in lab work, a thorough treatment of digital electronics and rapidly developing areas of electronics, it contains an expansive glossary of new terms and ideas.
Table of Contents
Signal Processing Circuits.
Steady-State AC Circuits.
General Network Analysis.
Introduction to Systems.
Transistors and Integrated Circuits.
Magnetic Fields and Circuits.
Principles of Electromechanics.
Automatic Control Systems.
Answers to Selected Exercises.