Synopses & Reviews
Founded in 1896 by William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody and members of the Shoshone Land and Irrigation Company, Cody lies 53 miles east of Yellowstone National Park. Situated in a geographical area known as the Big Horn Basin, the town is surrounded by part of the front range of the Absaroka Mountains. The Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad's
arrival in 1901 coincided with Cody's incorporation as a town. The Irma Hotel, named for Buffalo Bill's youngest daughter, opened in 1902 and provided visitors with a modern, luxurious place to stay. In 1909, Cody became the county seat of the newly formed Park County. Cody and the surrounding areas are known for their superb scenery, excellent hunting and fishing, gas and mineral reserves, and vast ranching lands.
About the Author
Lynn Johnson Houze is a member of the local and state historical societies as well as several committees concerned with preserving local history. She served on the 1996 Cody Centennial Committee and coauthored a centennial history of the town. She has chosen images from the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, where she is a curatorial assistant; from local and state archives; and from the American Heritage Center at the University of Wyoming. Additionally, local families have generously allowed her to use images from their collections.