Synopses & Reviews
This extensively revised new edition offers a broad-ranging, systematic and sophisticated introduction contemplating the institutions and processes of government in the US set in a clear historical context.
About the Author
Nigel Bowles is Director of the Rothermere American Institute, and Professorial Fellow, at Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford, UK.
Robert McMahon is the Head of the Politics Department at Radley College, Abingdon, UK.
Table of Contents
2. Beliefs and Values in American Society
3. The Constitution - Creating the Rules of the Game
4. Political Parties - The Politics of Aggregation and Disaggregation
5. Elections and the Politics of Participation
6. The Presidency and the Politics of Leadership
7. Congress and the Politics of Legislative Competition
8. The Supreme Court and the Politics of Adjudication
9. Interest Groups
10. Bureaucracy -The Fourth Branch of Government
11. Federalism and Intergovernmental Policy-Making
12. Economic and Domestic Policy
13. Foreign and Defence Policy
Appendix 1: The Constitution of the United States