Synopses & Reviews
The Complete Guide to Performance Appraisal supplies you with the quickest, surest, and most up-to-date methods available for making your appraisal system outstanding. Whether you want to get the maximum impact from your existing system, or you want to create and implement an ideal system from scratch, The Complete Guide to Performance Appraisal is your one-stop, how-to-do-it resource. Unlike many "systems" books, this guide is notable for its personal, forthright writing style. Author Dick Grote has worked with performance appraisal techniques for more than 25 years, and he tells you frankly which methods have been successful and which have flopped. This comprehensive book will help you set job objectives and measure the truly important aspects of an individual's performance; prepare managers for the rigors of the appraisal interview, with scripts and proven interviewing techniques; create forms and procedures that satisfy your organization's needs - and comply with legal requirements; gain support for your system throughout the organization; set up a training program for both appraisers and appraisees - a critical step for long-term success; increase employee skills and capabilities using Dick Grote's original "Individual Management Development" procedure; explore the relationship between performance appraisal and compensation; and understand new and emerging trends such as team appraisal, (actual symbol not reproducible) feedback, and computer-generated appraisals.
" A good appraisal system can serve as an effective structure for culture change within an organization -- and it can help ease one of every manager's most dreaded duties. Now, based on 25 years of experience, Dick Grote gives readers everything they need to make the process work well, including:
* what an ideal system looks like
* the available options and approaches
* how to evaluate performance, write a fair appraisal, and conduct the actual appraisal discussion
* how to create a system from scratch or optimize the one already in place
* critical issues that must be considered, including employee development, pay, and legal concerns
* emerging trends that influence the process -- such as 360-degree feedback, teams, the use of software
* actual appraisal forms from 12 companies, as well as scripts, diagrams, checklists, worksheets, flow charts, and sample policies"
About the Author
DICK GROTE (Dallas, TX) is president of Grote Consulting and an adjunct professor of management at the University of Dallas Graduate School of Management. He is also the author of Discipline Without Punishment (AMACOM).