Synopses & Reviews
The incredible influence of Ancient Greek culture on everything from science to literature to politics continues to be relevant—and hotly debated. In The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ancient Greece, you are invited to meet the Ancient Greeks and to understand their legacy by entering their world.
• Profiles the most important contributions of Greek culture, including mythology, philosophy, medicine, and the Olympic games
• Includes further reading and travel information to help in planning a personal Odyssey
About the Author
Eric D. Nelson, Ph.D., is an assistant professor of classics at Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, Washington. He is the author of The Complete Idiots Guide to the Roman Empire
and several scholarly works regarding the life and writings of Hippocrates.
Susan Allard-Nelson, Ph.D., specializes in ancient philosophy, particularly Aristotle, and in ethics. The author of An Aristotelian Approach to Ethical Theory: The Norms of Virtue, she teaches philosophy and writing at Pacific Lutheran University.
Table of Contents
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ancient Greece Part 1: All Greek to You?
1. Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts - You Might Like Them
The Basics, including an outline of Greek history from the Bronze Age through Late Antiquity and Buzantium.
2. Classical Gas: Ancient Greek Literature and Art at a Glance
The ancient Greeks are famous for their enduring literary and artistic achievements. And there are many of them - as you'll find out here!
3. Classical Analysis: Greek History, Philosophy, Science, and Architecture at a Glance
Besides literary and artistic works, the Greeks are famous for their fundamental contributions to philosophy and the sciences. This chapter summarizes these contributions and introduces you to the primary Greek philosophers and scholars.
4. Greek FAQs: Hot Topics in Brief
Okay, so you want some quick answers to some common questions, on topics ranging from Amazons and Atlantis to the Olympic Games. Here they are!
5. By Zeus! Ancient Greek Religion and Mythology
Find out about the religious and mythological perspectives that shaped Greek culture, literature, and thought and the ways that these perspectives have influenced our understanding of the world and of ourselves.
Part 2: The Bronze Age Through the Archaic Period
6. Where in the Hellas? Ancient Greece and Its Neighbors
Meet the neighbors! Take a quick tour of the Mediterranean world of the Greeks, so that you can find your bearings more easily.
7. Bullish on the Bronze