Synopses & Reviews
Computer-Based Construction Project Management focuses on the use of computers to cope with the construction challenges of tight budgets, strict deadlines, and limited resources. Coverage includes areas such as contracts, estimating and scheduling, resource management, bidding, cash management, and project control. Readers will develop skills to analyze projects and use computers to optimize resource use. Real world exercises, a variety of software applications, and practice software are all included.
Key features of this edition:
- A simple step-by-step process to optimize project cost under time, resource, and cash flow constraints is explained and demonstrated through case studies.
- Introduction of newly emerging concepts in the field, such as "Critical Chain Project Management."
- Discussion of the latest versions of industry-standard software for project management (Microsoft Project and Primavera P3), including many tips and tricks to fully utilize the simple and powerful features of these programs.
- A comprehensive list of Internet resources to supplement the text material.
This guide helps professionals with basic computer knowledge improve their project management skills, and views basic project management concepts from an information technology perspective. All concepts are presented both manually and on computer applications with a unified case study throughout the book that clearly demonstrates the evolution of concepts in the successive chapters. Chapter topics contain comprehensive coverage of quantitative construction management techniques for planning, scheduling, estimating, cost optimization, cash flow analysis, bidding, and project control. For engineers, construction managers, project managers, and consulting engineers.
Table of Contents
1. Construction Project Initiation.
2. Information Management Tools.
3. Planning—Part 1—Network Diagrams.
4. Planning—Part 2—TIME and COST Estimation.
5. Critical-Path Analysis for Network Scheduling.
6. Scheduling of Linear and Repetitive Projects.
7. Resource Management: Part I—Resource Allocation and Leveling.
8. Resource Management: Part II—Time-Cost Trade-Off.
9. Bidding Strategy and Markup Estimation.
10. Project Financing and Schedule Integration.
11. Construction Progress Control.
12. Special Topics.
Appendix A: Web Resources.
Appendix B: New Case Study.
Appendix C: Exercise Projects.
Appendix D: Probability Table for Standard Normal Distribution.
Appendix E: Detailed MasterFormat List.