Synopses & Reviews
'Together in one delightful boxed set, here are the first five novels in #1 New York Times bestselling author Sophie Kinsella’s acclaimed Shopaholic series. Follow the hilarious high-fashion adventures of Becky Bloomwood, a spirited young woman with a taste for the finer things in life—if only she could afford them. From London to Manhattan, from singlehood to motherhood, Becky struggles to keep her finances above water—but it will take a lot more than a looming credit-card bill to sink Sophie Kinsella’s irresistible heroine!'
is the author of the bestselling Shopaholic series, as well as the novels Can You Keep A Secret?, The Undomestic Goddess, Remember Me?, Twenties Girl, I’ve Got Your Number,
and Wedding Night
. She lives in England.
From the Trade Paperback edition.
About the Author
Sophie Kinsella is the author of the bestselling Shopaholic series, as well as The Undomestic Goddess and Can You Keep a Secret? She lives in England.
Reading Group Guide
1. Becky has a serious shopping addiction! Clothes, makeup, shoes—you name it, she loves it! Do you have a shopping addiction? Where is your favorite place to go shopping? What store cant you walk by without “just taking a peek” at the fabulous merchandise!
2. At the beginning of Confessions of a Shopaholic, Becky just had to have the Denny & George scarf. Have you ever made a crazy impulsive purchase like that? Whats the most fun purchase youve ever made? Have you ever had to borrow money for a shopping spree?
3. Becky is obviously addicted to shopping, but shes got other things going for her as well. What are some of your favorite characteristics about Becky? Do you have friends that remind you of any of the characters in Confessions of a Shopaholic?
4. Becky decided to follow David E. Bartons Controlling Your Cash in order to reduce her spending. Do you think the tactics listed in the story were reasonable? How could Becky have better managed her financial situation? What ways do you budget yourself and save up for special things you want to splurge on?
5. When Becky was a store assistant at Ally Smith, she hid a pair of zebra print jeans from a customer—then got fired! Do you have a funny or embarrassing dressing room story? Have you ever done something extreme like Becky to “stake your claim” on a piece of clothing?
6. Beckys relationship with Luke constantly changes throughout Confessions of a Shopaholic. Hot and cold, on and off, you never know what youre going to get with the two of them. How do you think the development of their relationship enhances the story?
7. Zebra print jeans, pink boots, and a shimmering gray-blue scarf—it seems that Becky has a style all of her own! How does Beckys shopping obsession add to the story? Whats your style like? Do you have a favorite outfit?
8. Tarquin and Beckys date was quite interesting to say the least. Pizza and champagne, a $5,000 check to a made-up organization, and some sneaking around on Beckys part! Do you think Becky handled herself appropriately? Whats the most memorable date youve ever been on?
9. Becky seems to tell a lot of “little white lies,” from lying about a broken leg, to making up a dead aunt, and even telling her parents she has a stalker! How does her lying affect her relationships to her friends, family and colleagues in the story? Whats the most exaggerated “little white lie” youve ever made up to get yourself out of trouble?
10. Becky seems to tell a lot of “little white lies,” from lying about a broken leg, to making up a dead aunt, and even telling her parents she has a stalker! How does her lying affect her relationships to her friends, family and colleagues in the story? Whats the most exaggerated “little white lie” youve ever made up to get yourself out of trouble?
11. Becky lands a front page news article, a spot on a morning television show, and a date with her dream guy all in the course of a couple days. Is this too good to be true? Can you believe Beckys luck? Do you think Becky has changed by the end of the story? Have you ever had a perfect day like Beckys?