Synopses & Reviews
Infertility is a heartbreaking condition that can affect every aspect of a woman's life, and 9 million American couples struggle with it each year.
In Conquering Infertility, Harvard psychologist Dr. Alice Domar-whom Vogue named the "Fertility Goddess"-provides infertile women with what they need most: stress relief, support, and hope. Within a year, more than 50 percent of the patients who used her mind/body techniques along with their infertility treatment conceived pregnancies that resulted in a baby, compared with 20 percent who did not use the mind/body tools.
Dr. Domar provides wise, strong words on:
* sustaining a career during infertility
* coping when friends and family members become pregnant
* navigating the medical maze
* what to do when infertility threatens your belief in God
* exploring other options when treatment fails
With Conquering Infertility, women learn how to cope with infertility in a much more positive way and carve a path-however unexpected-toward a rich, full, happy life.
"Conquering Infertility offers sensitive, practical and scientifically documented support and guidance to help all shoes who are dealing with infertility." (Christiane Northrup, MD, author of Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom and The Wisdom of Menopause)
"Patient after patient has derived peace of mind after learning the practical techniques in Dr. Domar's book . . .Conquering Infertility is a 'must read' for couples struggling to cope with infertility. Her book is practical, direct and enormously helpful in helping couples deal with the emotional turmoil so often associated with infertility." (Michael Alper MD, Medical Director , Boston IVF)
"Dr Domar has created a versatile tool box for coping that sooths the pain of infertility and offers a holistic approach to achieving pregnancy." (Mehmet Oz, MD, Director, Cardiovascular Institute, Columbia University)
"Coping with infertility is truly conquering it. Ali Domar's book offers the much-needed tools for all of those facing the challenge of infertility. Understanding her pioneering work is a must for those undergoing the assisted reproductive technologies." (Jamie A Grifo, MD, PhD, Professor of Ob Gyn Director of the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology NYU Medical Center)
About the Author
Alice D. Domar, Ph.D. is the founder and director of the world-renowned Mind/Body Program for Infertility and author of the national bestseller, Self-Nurture
. She is also Assistant Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and the director of the Mind/Body Center for Women's Health at Boston IVF, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Alice Lesch Kelly's writing appears in numerous publications that include Health, Glamour, Shape, Redbook, and The New York Times.
Table of Contents
1. Infertility, Stress, and Depression 9
2. A Toolbox Full of Coping Skills 38
3. Coping When Everyone But You Has a Baby 75
4. You and Your Husband 93
5. Turning to Family and Friends for Support 118
6. Infertility and Your Career 132
7. Special Cases: Secondary Infertility and Infertility in the Unmarried Woman 153
8. Why Won't God Give Me a Baby? 172
9. The Nitty-gritty of Infertility Treatment: Financial and Medical Issues 189
10. When Miracles Don't Happen:Coping When Treatment Fails 217
11. Other Paths to Parenthood 241
Appendix 1: Lifestyle Changes That Increase Fertility 271
Appendix 2: Resources 281
Selected Bibliography 287