Synopses & Reviews
Did the arms race of the 1930s cause the Second World War?
In Cry Havoc, historian Joseph Maiolo shows, in rich and fascinating detail, how the deadly game of the arms race was played out in the decade prior to the outbreak of the Second World War. In this exhaustively researched account, he explores how nations reacted to the moves of their rivals, revealing the thinking of those making the key decisionsand#151;Hitler, Mussolini, Chamberlain, Stalin, Rooseveltand#151;and the dilemmas of democratic leaders who seemed to be faced with a choice between defending their nations and preserving their democratic way of life.
An unparalleled account of an era of extreme political tension, Cry Havoc shows how the interwar arms race shaped the outcome of World War II before the shooting even began.
A leading military historian chronicles the global arms race of the 1930s as it led inexorably to the unleashing of the dogs of war
About the Author
is Senior Lecturer in International History in the Department of War Studies, Kingand#8217;s College London. The author of The Royal Navy and Nazi Germany, 1933-1939
, he has won several awards, including the Julian Corbett Award in Modern Naval History.
Table of Contents
1. Deep War and Red Militarism
2. Colonel Ishiwara Goes to Manchuria
3. and#147;Rearm and Get Readyand#8221;
4. and#147;We Are Moving Among Giantsand#8221;
5. and#147;Should We Accept the Rearmament of Germany?and#8221;
6. The Military-Industrial Complex
7. The Naval Arms Races Begin
8. and#147;We Have Reached a Plateauand#8221;
9. Guns and Butter
10. and#147;Next Time Weand#8217;ll Urge On the Other Sideand#8221;
11. and#147;They Are Serious, the Englishmenand#8221;
12. and#147; . . . A Different Kind of Nationand#8221;?
13. The Great Acceleration, 1938andndash;39
14. and#147;The Acid Test . . . Is Whether Anyone Is Ready to Disarmand#8221;
15. and#147;Miracles Cannot Happenand#8221;
16. Wars of Rapid Decision?
17. and#147;Is Total War, Then, the Path to Freedom?and#8221;
Conclusion: The Race Goes On